David and Eliza

The next few minutes were hard to recall. Battle is like that. You're completely in the moment and nothing matters except that you win. It's great. Spears flashed. Arrows flew and, in no time, we made short work of the slavers, disarming them all in a matter of minutes. Samson's warrior surrounded them and herded them into the holding pen that had once held his people. Samson's people weeped tears of joy when they were freed. I expected to have trouble with the MechaNects but to our surprise they eagerly surrendered. A tall MechaNect approached David and me and bowed.

"Thank you so much for freeing us. We were captured by the Orion Slavers a full cycle ago and have been forced to work in the mines ever since."

"What's your name, friend?" David said.

"My name is T'Zide and if there is anything I can do for you, please let us know."

"Just get these bums to the nearest GalacticEnforcementCenter. Can you take care of that, T'Zide" David said.

"We are happy to," T'Zide said and gave a graceful bow.

David and I along with the MechaNects herded the Orion slavers onto their spaceships and the MechaNects took command.

David and I watched the spaceships take off into the evening sky. Samson approached us and gave both of us a hug. "Thank you so much from friends from Earth. I owe you both a debt that can never be repaid."

"It's all right, Samson. This is what we do," David said.

Samson thanked us again and then marched off with his people for his home.

"Well, I guess we're done here." I said to David.

"I'm expecting a jump door to open any second. I don't see how there can be anything left for us to do on this planet. We've accomplished our mission." David said.

"So what's Father K waiting for." I said.

Just then, the Jump Door opened. David and I gladly went through it.

***

We materialized back in the Arena. The roar of the crowd greeted us, and Father K swooped toward us on his floating platform. The cameras were once again in our faces and our images flashed on the monitors.

"Let's hear it for the young lovers!" Father K shouted to the crowd which roared back its approval. Father K leaped off his floating platform and approached us. He shoved his microphone into David's face.

"An excellent diversion. What an amazing piece of strategy you came up with young ranger. Tell me how did you think of it?" Father K said.

David moved the microphone away from his face. "It was nothing. We're taught strategy and tactics at Blackstone so I'm trained to deal with these situations."

"Remarkable. We certainly enjoyed watching you here at home. Well done, young man." Father K said and then turned to me. "And tell me young Ms. Grant. Were you ever scared there on that jungle world?"

"No." I said tersely.

"No?" said Father K with a hint of disbelief and turned back to the crowd which gave a loud laugh. Father K turned back to me, "Surely the brave Ranger of Earth felt some kind of fear." He shoved his microphone back into my face.

I slapped the microphone away from me, "You do that again and I'll kill you."

The crowd gasped and then cheered. I gave another mock bow. The cameras zoomed in on me. Father K for the moment was speechless. He climbed back on his floating platform and went to interview the other contestants who had just come in through jump doors.