Battling the Cold

The lights gleamed hot. Cameras danced like dragonflys through the evening light. I could see a pale moon in the sky. The crowd roared when David and I appeared. Apparently we were doing something right. Most of the crowd was pulling for us.

Father K's platform appeared from the stands. It circled around us and the remaining contestants. The crowd screamed and yelled when it saw the dynamic Father K who bowed and preened for the crowd.

"Welcome to Round Two of the Temple of Trials," Father K shouted into his microphone.

The crowd roared and rose to its feet. Father K's platform circled the arena.

"In first place, we have the mercenary team from Alpha Draconis."

The Dra Khan warriors bowed. They looked fierce. I rememberd fighting the Grimm Dra Khan warriors in the shadows of the UN library back on Earth. These were the real thing. In many ways they resembled Romano. Tall and muscular with extensive weapons: blaster rifles, vibro swords, and plasma grenades, the Dra Khanian mercenarys looked to be equipped for any situation.

"In second place, we have the prisoners from Rigel Seven," Father K pointed out a tall humanoid with horns on its head and an insectile creature that resembled a huge wasp. The crowd roared its approval.

"And finally in third place, the Blackstone Rangers of Earth," Father K said and pointed at me and David. The crowd did a combination of roaring and jeering. I gave them the finger.

"Maybe that will help us in the rankings," I said to David.

"Oh, yeah, I'm sure it helped," David said.

"Well, it seems one of our young lovers isn't happy today," Father K said. He pointed at the video monitors in the stadium which showed David and I kissing in our cell. I blushed and looked at David who didn't seem to be too happy about it either. The crowd hooted and laughed at us. I should have known that our every move was being monitored. That was the last time I would make a mistake like that again.

"The next round of the Temple of Trials begins tonight! Where will our contestants go? Stay tuned to find out because the action begins right now!" Father K said.

Jump Doors opened in front of us. David and I looked at each other.

"I wonder what happens if we refuse to go?" I said.

"Do you really want to stick around and find out?" David said.

"Not really."

"The only way out is up, Grant. We've got to win this thing if we ever want to get back to Earth. Let's go," David said and jumped through the shimmering portal.

I shook my head. There were times when David really got on my nerves and this was one of those times. I jumped after him.

I landed or rather splashed down into freezing black water. A thousand needles stabbed my body until my Ranger Jumpsuit compensated for the temperature. I kicked for the surface.

I broke through to frigid Arctic air and sputtered trying to catch my breath. David was treading water near to me.

"Keep moving," he shouted, "Our jumpsuits respond to motion."

"Thanks for the suggestion," I shouted back.

I looked around and spotted a small boat bobbing in the ocean current.

"Over there!" I shouted to David.

We kicked for the boat, and finally made it. David and I climbed aboard and tried to dry ourselves. Being out of the water wasn't much better. A cold wind blew across the water, chilling me to the bone. If it wasn't for our Ranger Jumpsuits we both would probably have died from exposure. I could feel the Jumpsuit struggling to warm us.