Home

A day later, John and Hamish were released from the hospital as Sherlock told the cabbie to drive extra slow for "precious cargo". John rolled his eyes and chuckled, never taking his eyes off of his son as he smiled.

"Your daddy is a bit of a nut job." John saw the twinkle in his newborns eyes, letting the little ones fingers wrap tightly around his pinky. The army doctor's lips curling into a bigger smile at the sensation.

Sherlock looked out the window of the cab and scoffed at his husband's statement.

"What now?" John asked, looking to the detective for a split second then looking back to the newborn. He still couldn't believe that he was their child. Their baby. Which only made the army doctor break into a bigger smile than before.

"I am not a nut job!" Sherlock quickly retorted, turning his head back to see John quietly snickering and still looking to Hamish.

"I beg to differ." John looked to the detective and not taking his gaze back to the child, instead gently leaning forward and kissing Sherlock's cupid bowed lips. The taste of stale hospital coffee and cheap sweetener still lingered across his mouth, which made it even harder to pull away for air.

"Alright, here we are." The cabbie said with a generous smile on his face as he looked to the men in the rearview mirror. Sherlock looked to the front door of their flat, seeing the gold knocker tilted straight again and telling the detective that his brother was there.

"Mycroft?" John asked, seeing the look of annoyance plastered to his face. Sherlock nodded as he climbed out of the car and gave the cabbie the money, helped John out of the car, and opened the door back to their flat for his husband and their baby.

John carefully climbed the stairs back up to their flat as he let Sherlock open the door to see every one of their friends standing in the middle of the room and yelling, "congratulations!". John jumped a bit and cradled Hamish closer to his chest, keeping a soft yet vice-like grip on the child.

"What's all this for?" John asked, a smile creeping up to his lips along with a faint color of embarrassment setting in on his cheeks. Sherlock smiled, grabbing John around the waist and planting a kiss in his messy, short blonde hair.

"It's a birthday party. For you and Hamish." Sherlock acknowledged, beaming to everyone in the room as the smile was almost entirely fake. He never really enjoyed people wasting space in his flat; the less people the better. But it was a special occasion so he let it slide this time.

John never even realized it was his birthday yesterday as his mind was filled with so many thoughts that rambled on about names for the baby, how hungry he was all the time, the constant worry if the baby was going to be healthy and how the whole thing would pan out. He was so nervous for their child's actual birthday, he let his completely slip his mind as it never came back to him until now.

Lestrade, Molly, Mrs. Hudson, and Mycroft all stood snickering and giggling amongst themselves at the dumbfounded look that John had glued to his face like a permanent mask at the realization that this party was for him. Or the fact that there was a party at all.

"Well, umm, I'm not the only one with a birthday. Everyone, meet Hamish." As soon as he said so, Molly and Mrs. Hudson ran to his side to look at the baby boy. Aweing at the fascination of the little human being that was wrapped in a dozen types of blankets and a onesie to keep him warm from the colder weather that blew around outside.

"Awe! He's so precious! He definitely has Sherlock's hair." Molly joked, sweeping the thick band of black curls from the baby's forehead to disturb Hamish from his short nap and slowly open his eyes to reveal bright blue eyes with a fleck of grey around the iris. His tiny nose scrunched as his lips parted to yawn, making the women swoon over the child's cuteness.