“You have high risk Acute Lymphatic Leukemia.” Dr. Fields’ voice was somber and regretful. I barely registered it. All I could see was Bailey’s face. That overpowered all my other senses. Her tired face remained blank, but her eyes filled with dread, sadness. I gripped her hand even tighter. I felt like I was going to throw up. I had no idea what he meant, but I knew it was bad. I could see it in Bailey’s face. I could hear it in his voice.

“What does that mean?” I asked, not able to stand not knowing.

“It means that there are too many lymphocytes, a type of white blood cell. They don’t fight infection off very well. It decreases room for other healthy blood cells and platelets. The high risk means that the leukemia has progressed quickly and may spread to other areas of her body.” It was silent for a moment. I just stared at Bailey, scared. I just found out she loved me not even two hours ago. Now this.

“What are my options?” Bailey asked. Her voice was calm, making me feel even more weak.

“There is intense chemotherapy that we have patients go through for a month to send the cancer into remission. The success rates are very high for standard and low risk patients and with high risk, they go down. You will have to stay at the hospital for long periods of time for this treatment since it several doses throughout the day. You will have to take L-asparaginase, vincristine, dexamethasone, and daunorubicin during this time.” None of us said anything. Chemotherapy was rough. It made people sick, sometimes more sick than what they started out with. Would Bailey be one of those people? Or would she pull through even stronger? I didn’t know and that scared the hell out of me. It scared her too. She kept looking at me, terrified. I had no answers to give her. I was just as scared as she was.

“What do you think I should doctor?” Bailey asked.

“The chemotherapy is going to give you the fighting chance you need. I already talked to your parents so you all can discuss whether or not you want to start the chemo,” Dr. Fields said.

“Thank you,” Bailey said. He nodded, getting up and left.

“Are you okay?” I asked, stupidly as the door closed shut.

“I don’t know,” she whispered. “I love you.”

“I love you too, Bay,” I whispered back, feeling warmth flood into heart again. The door knocked again.

“Come in,” Bay said this time. Lisa and Bailey’s foster dad, Mark came in. Both looked like they aged a few years since the last time that I saw them both. Mark’s green eyes held a sadness that I had never seen before. Lisa looked like she was seconds away from crying. Even though they had only been her foster parents for two years, they loved her as much as they loved their own flesh and blood children.

“How are you guys?” Bailey asked, concerned. Lisa started crying.

“You’re such a sweet girl, Bailey,” Lisa said, coming over and hugging her. I stood up to move out of their way with all the strength my shaky knees had. I wanted to cry, but Bailey needed me not to. I knew it was killing her to see Lisa cry over her. She didn’t need to see me cry either. Mark pulled Lisa off of Bailey and held her, comforting his wife.

“We talked to the doctor before he came in here,” Mark said, starting the inevitable conversation. I didn’t want to be part of this decision, but I stayed put for Bailey’s sake.

“He told us,” Bailey said.

“Do you want the chemotherapy?”

“I don’t know,” Bailey said, truthfully. “I heard how bad it is from other patients, but it is my only option now. I have to do it if I want a chance.”