The Truth About Dezzy and Bailey

Chapter One:

“Damn it, wake up!” I heard my mom yell. I groaned, rolling over and rubbing my eyes. The yelling continued. I shut my eyes, trying to drown out her voice. Anything to have just a few more minutes of peace. It never came. The yelling just got louder and came through my door.

“Desiree, get the hell up!” Mom yelled, banging on my door. I grumbled under my breath. This was not a great start to my Tuesday morning.

“Alright,” I called out. Why did she have to do this to me and my sister every morning? Couldn’t she try to start the day being nice? I got up, stumbling over to my light switch and turned it on. I fumbled through my drawers. I grabbed a pair of jeans and a blue thermal shirt. Quickly, I changed and went outside into the living room.

                My step dad and mom were already bickering as they helped my seven year old sister, Maddy, get ready. Maddy had straight, light brown hair that framed her delicate features. She was as tall and skinny as a beanpole.

“Morning,” I said to them, trying to contain my disgust for my mom and step dad, Leo.

“Dezzy!” Maddy squealed, running over and wrapping her arms around me.

“Good morning, baby girl!” I said, hugging her back.

“Ugh, Maddy! We aren’t finished yet. Come on! Your bus will be here any minute.” Mom snapped. I looked up at her with an expression that said, it’s six forty three in the morning, can you please not do this. “What Desiree?”

“Nothing, Mom.” I sighed. I wasn’t going to get my wish. At least, not this morning.

“Then why do you have that look on your face? Like you have something to say.” Mom sneered. I looked to Leo for something, maybe help. Then I looked to Maddy. I wasn’t going to argue with my mom in front of her. Having autism should be enough for her. She didn’t need this family drama on top of it all.

“Mom, can we not get into this right now? It’s not even seven o’clock.” I said, glancing at Maddy, hoping she would get the hint.

“Whatever,” Mom said, getting up and leaving the room. Leo just looked at me and rolled his eyes.

“Alright, Maddy, let’s finish getting ready.” I said. “Brush your teeth and wash your face.” I had to help her or well more like supervise. If no one did, she would make a big mess and it wouldn’t be pretty for anyone. “Now, go out with Daddy to the bus stop. Have a good day. I love you.” She kissed my cheek and said, “Love you too, Dezzy.”

                I finished getting ready. I put on mascara, tiny bit of eyeliner, and eye shadow. My hair was bit harder to deal with. My reddish brown mane curled and seemed unmanageable. Finally, I was able to put half of it and have it looked decent. Before leaving the bathroom, I looked into the mirror.

                As usual, there was a frown implanted on my pale pink lips. Make up painted my ugly face.  I used to strive for natural beauty like Hermione Granger in Harry Potter. She looked perfect and amazing. Well after the third movie she did. Nothing I did worked, which broke my self-esteem. I had crazy hair, a terribly big nose, and stronger features than my female peers did that made me feel undesirable. The only thing I found beautiful about me were my eyes. They were blue that seemed to have grey clouding tops over them, like the sky before a storm. I did everything I could do to play up my eyes.

                Sighing, I decided I could tolerate my appearance and went out to the living room. Mom was putting on her shoe which was a surprise. Normally, she didn’t start getting dressed until we were almost running late. I guess annoying her motivated her in some way. Weird, how she works.