chapter twenty nine

Start from the beginning

Bucky snickered at that one.

Meanwhile Natasha and Wanda were engaged in a rapid-fire conversation in what sounded to me like Russian (though one could never be sure given Natasha's background), while Bruce and Tony were going at it with Steve.

"But you've got to watch the Jurassic Park series," Tony persisted. "Dinosaurs, Rogers. Dinosaurs."

"Not that I'm trying to make a habit out of saying this, but Tony's right," Bruce said, spreading his hands as he did so.

Steve rolled his eyes, "I don't understand how 'dinosaurs,' is a good reason to do anything."

Tony gave him a highly insulted look. "Dinosaurs, Steven!"

"He doesn't get it 'cause he is one, Stark," Natasha interrupted casually. "You've got to give the poor man a break, it's not like Jurassic Park would be anything he hasn't seen before," she winked teasingly.

"I believe that was a crack at your old age," Vision volunteered, to which Pietro rolled his eyes.

"Of course it was," he said, "Rogers and Barnes are the oldest ones here."

"I feel considerably relieved to know I am no longer that old," Clint volunteered with a proud smile, which earned him an eye roll from Natasha.

"I'm with the Science Bros on this one, Steve," I said then. "It's Jurassic Park all the way. Have we even brought up Jaws yet?" I asked, turning toward Bruce.

"Oh! I like Jaws!" Pietro declared, reaching out and squeezing my hand as he smiled widely. "We should watch it together."

"We should," Wanda agreed, giving her twin a pointed look. "I believe I am far overdue a double date."

"Wanna make it a triple?" Tony volunteered. "We could even get Banner and Romanoff in on it, make it a quadruple."

"I think," Rhodey said in a mock whisper, "that if you run now he won't be able to catch you. Also, he'll probably forget."

Pietro, Bucky, and Sam all snickered at that as Tony rolled his eyes.

"No, Stark, I do not wish to any-kind-of-pairing date with you," Wanda said politely. "Seriously though, Meg-- help, please?"

"Oh, we're in," I nodded seriously. "We were in the moment you said the words. Road Runner may not realize it, he might be in denial over it, but we are in."

Pietro blinked owlishly at me. "I am afraid to argue," he admitted carefully.

"Probably best not to," Steve nodded.

"I wouldn't," Sam agreed.

"You wouldn't argue with Steve, either," Tony pointed out.

"Why would anyone argue with Steve?" Natasha asked innocently. "He's Captain America."

"Sometimes," Steve said, shaking his head and smiling, "I hate all of you."

"Captain America can hate?! Oh the agony!" Natasha gasped, clutching at her chest before winking at Bruce, causing him to laugh.

"I think he's hated me the longest," Bucky said in amusement, before his wandering eyes zoned in on me.

I watched as his brow furrowed, and became considerably aware of an incoming headache.

"Megan," Bucky said slowly, "your nose is bleeding."

Confused, I reached up and touched my nose, and sure enough, when my hand pulled away liquid crimson coated my finger tips. My own brow furrowed as the once lingering, theoretical headache became a blaring reality, and spots began to appear in front of my eyes. Dizziness took me by storm, and I could feel my heart beginning to race as my brain processed the only two logical words; Oh, no.

Then I was vaguely aware of losing my balance to a point where I'd fallen out of my chair. Somewhere in the back of my mind I could hear Pietro's voice frantically trying to say I was okay, before that switched to chants of please wake up, please, please, please--

Then the world was dark.

When I woke up, everything felt fuzzy and disconnected and wrong, though I didn't know why, and as soon as I'd fully come to consciousness fear griped firmly at my chest. I attempted to rush into a seated position, but was stopped by two sets of warm hands.

Bruce and Tony were standing over me, in the examination room, much like they had been at our first meeting. But this time, Tony didn't say a word; Bruce looked at me in eyes filled with concern.

"Megan," he said slowly, as my attention focused in on him, "your density alteration . . . we can't pick it up any more."

THE END

>>

A/N: a preview for the next book, Stand As Heroes, is up now! It'll be the final installment in the Quicksilver series, and oooooooh am I excited!!

(sorrynotsorry about the cliffhanger ending dolls xox)