Chapter 17: what have I done?

The face of Marik haunts my mind. It is difficult for me to comprehend how it came to be but somehow Malik was able to connect his soul to the millennium rod. Knowing how Malik was back when I was alive he probably quickly chose a host that resembled him the closest. The connection between Marik and Malik is too twisted for them to be easily separated. The only answer I could come up with to explain their unnatural connection is that Malik chose his host from one of his descendants. Shivers run down my spine at the thought.
My eyes drift over to Yugi. To share a body is such an intimate experience the idea of simply taking the form of one of your descendants because of the resemblance is revolting. I wonder if Marik even knew that his ancestors soul was locked away within the rod or it was all mere chance. Something tells me that none of this was left to chance. Malik had orchestrated it all somehow.
A broad smile dawns Yugi's face as he races towards the boy who has been haunting me. Marik smiles back at Yugi. The two boys begin to chat and I can't help but stare at Marik. The boy appears just as innocent as Yugi but I know that the corrupted soul of Malik resides within him.
/"Thinking about me pharaoh?"/
/"More about that boy you're inhabiting."/ A deep chuckle reverberates through my mind making goosebumps form.
/"The pharaoh showing concern for an innocent this truly is a historic occasion."/
/"Don't toy with me!"/
/"Would never dream of it."/
/"What are you after?"/
/"I told you. You will learn from your past."/
/"Let the past remain hidden within the sands of Egypt."/
/"If only it were that simple. That would make you happy right, Atem?"/
/"It is that simple."/
/"What would little Yugi think of you if he knew the complete truth? Would he still wish to harbor your spirit or would you return to the darkness?"/
/"My fate is of no concern to you."/ I grumble, trying to hide my uncertainty. I truly don't know what Yugi would do. My doubt is eating away at my confidence leaving me vulnerable to the fear of being abandoned by Yugi.
/"Feeling fearful pharaoh?"/
/"Not in the slightest."/
/"Your downfall shall be so pleasant, don't fret. You will only lose what you never truly had."/
/"Malik!"/
"You should really come over and hang out sometime, Marik." I glance back at Yugi in horror.
"I would love to do that Yugi." Marik says with a small smile. "When did you have in mind?"
"How about this friday?"
"Ok. I'll see you then." Marik says with a smile before walking off. Yugi glances back at me and his smile falters at my expression.
/"What?"/
/"Why did you do that?"/
/"I don't know I was just trying to be nice."/
/"Cancel it."/ I say seriously.
/"What?! Why?"/
/"Because I don't trust him."/ I say firmly. Yugi looks at me skeptically. /"What?"/ I ask harshly.
/"Nothing."/ he responds with a frown.
/"What?"/
/"You wouldn't happen to be jealous would you Yami?"/
/"Jealous?!"/ I splutter in indignation. /"You think I'm jealous of that child?!"/
/"That would make sense."/ he says gently, trying to soothe my anger.
/"I would never be jealous of such a low life."/ I say sullenly.
/"Yami! He's my friend!"/
/"Oh really?! Both of him?"/
/"I don't -"/
/"The spirit of one of my councilmen resides within that boy, but since he's your friend I'm sure that you were aware of that."/
/"Why are you being so cold?"/
/"Because you can't keep acting like I'm a fool for trying to protect you."/
/"You're only saying these things because you're angry."/
/"Stop brushing off my words!"/
/"Stop yelling at me!"/
I scream in aggravation. Ruling the kingdom of Egypt was easier than talking to Yugi right now! It's not supposed to be like this! Yugi is supposed to understand and listen to what I have to say! Why is he suddenly so obstinate against me? I don't understand this! What has changed between us?! Yugi slips the chain of the puzzle off over his head and rests the puzzle on the desk. He rests his face in his hands as his shoulders begin to tremble. What have I done?