Chapter 7: eligibility

How do these kids do this every single day? I have only sat through two of these so called classes and I'm already prepared to rip off my own head. Yugi sits at a small desk hurriedly writing down everything the fat man at the front of the room is spouting. I had lessons similar to this in ancient Egypt but they were far more interesting. Where is the culture? Where is the hand to hand combat? Everything that had made my lessons even remotely enjoyable is absent from here.
I sit in the back of the classroom in one of the many vacant desks. The droning sound of this man's voice sets my teeth on edge. Would it kill him to put a little bit of emotion in his voice? Perhaps I wouldn't want to harm him so much. He continues to drone on for what feels like an eternity.
"My gods! This is worse than being locked away in the puzzle!" I say exasperated. Yugi glances back at me with an apologetic look before quickly looking back at his paper.I hit my head against the desk quietly until the room finally falls silent. The teacher hands out more papers and the students begin leaving the room. Yugi gives me a quick glance and I rise from the desk and follow him out of the room.
"That was the most boring thing I have ever experienced." I say with a groan. Yugi glances at me but remains silent as we continue to walk through the crowded hallway. "Have I upset you?" Yugi shakes his head no slightly. I stare at him confusedly. He's acting strangely, but then again if I had seen a boy talking to himself I probably would have mocked him. My hikari is so cautious. Yugi and I walk into a room filled with tables and students. He sits at a table in a far corner with a boy with blonde hair.
"Hey he's the guy from the picture!" Yugi smiles at my outburst. But is quickly distracted by an arm wrapping around his shoulders and pulling him over. I growl under my breath at the blonde haired boy.
"Hey yug! How have you been? You and I haven't hung out in a while."
"I've been alright Joey." He says with a slight smile. "I've just been busy."
"Yeah?" He asks with narrowed eyes. "Busy with what exactly? Got a new boyfriend or something?" Yugi's face glows a bright red as he struggles to speak. I rest my cheek in the palm of my hand as I stare at him with a smirk. He glances over at me worriedly.
"Come on Yug! You can tell me."
"Yeah Yugi do tell." I say with a smirk.
"I-I...that...That's not important." He stammers out avoiding my gaze completely.
"So you have a crush on someone then." Joey says with a smirk.
"A crush?" I look at him confusedly. "Who do you want to crush Yugi?"
"Can we just drop this topic!"
"Ok, ok, no need to have a stroke Yug!" He says ruffling my hikari's hair roughly. Two strangers approach the table. They are the same pair from the photos. The four of them began talking so incessantly that I was unable to pick out anything Yugi said. All of the noise they made, especially from the girl, got on my nerves. The obnoxious chatter seems to drag on for hours. First the boring classes and now these obnoxious teens, who are nothing like my hikari. This is going to be one long ass day.

"Finally home!" I shout as I catapult myself onto Yugi's bed. Yugi just chuckles.
"Was it really that awful?"
"I spent the past five thousand years locked away in a puzzle. Listening to an overly entitled man rant on and on isn't exactly the first thing I had on my list to do."
"I can imagine." He giggles innocently as he flops down beside me.
"Yugi?"
"Hmm?"
"What exactly is a boyfriend? Besides the obvious meaning of a friend that is a male." I look at him curiously. Yugi blinks a few times as if collecting his thoughts before he speaks.
"Well," he starts. "A boyfriend is someone who is more than a friend, but is male." He chuckles at my confused expression and continues. "The main difference between a boyfriend and a friend is that you have romantic intentions for your male friend where you wouldn't for a regular friend."
"Is it similar for women as well?" I ask slowly.
"Yes. Didn't you have boyfriends and girlfriends in Egypt?"
"Well, I only knew about people courting. I don't know if there was a specific title for it."
"Ok, but did you?"
"Did I what?"
"Did you court anyone?" My face blazes a deep red as I look away from him.
"No." I say sadly. "Courting was a mutual understanding of one's feelings and there was no one who returned my feelings...man or woman."
"I shouldn't have asked." Yugi says remorsefully. His eyes glowing with regret and sadness.
"Now it's my turn to ask you." I say, distracting him from his sad thoughts. "Did you ever court anyone?"
"Well, uh, I had liked a boy and a girl but neither really worked out."
"I see." I say with a small smile. "So you're eligible."
"I suppose you could say that." He says with a light laugh.
"Well we'll be eligible together." I say with a small smirk. Yugi chuckles as he places a light kiss on my cheek making my face burn.
"I think I'll like that." He says with a smile.