She's Mine: Chapter 28

Start from the beginning

"What?"

Eliza separated her lips once more, "I was clear. I said I refuse to answer any questions about this investigation or discuss any matter related to the subject."

Blackwell was filled with pressure, and she was seconds away from popping. What was she to do with a different Eliza Kelly? This was not the same demure, obedient woman she strategically hired for a successful business and interpersonal advantages.

"I am going to ask you anyways," Blackwell threatened.

Eliza lifted a brow and tilted her head.

"Does Mr. Daniels have anything to do with this investigation?" she spat, blinking rapidly.

Eliza could have guessed why the body language was so out-of-scope for the woman; anyone with eyes could see that Blackwell would take the first opportunity to jump on Troy if she could. It had been a recurring joke amongst Troy's peers that always left him feeling uncomfortable about.

Eliza blinked slowly, "May I leave? I do have a report to get back to you within the next three hours."

Blackwell twisted her face, grumbling, "I know he's not the father to that baby."

"May I leave?!" Eliza snapped.

"Get out of my office!" Blackwell suddenly howled.

Eliza didn't waste another second, not catching the full slur that was cut off by a closing door. Instead of distancing herself in her own office space, she tapped the down button of the elevator. The shaft slowly dropped her to the lobby, and the freedom of revolving doors was merely yards away.

She wasn't going to break again within the walls of that building. There was too much to take care of, and she wasn't going to be able to do anything she needed to do for her little girl if she couldn't find a way to keep her wits about her. So, she walked down the congested sidewalks, embracing the unfriendly pedestrians that didn't make a point to steer clear of her presence. Elbows and shoulders clashed, and acts of passive-aggression were bringing back the tough skin.

Lips were pressed tight and red eyes wanted to stay focused on the ground, but one more hit pulled her head up. She needed something to hurt more than what wanted to take over her heart.

It wasn't working. But her desire to stay pieced together did. As she walked back to Bluestar Technologies, she acknowledged that Eliza Kelly was full of cracks. She had been shattered so many times before but somehow, she always managed to put herself together piece by piece.

This time she wasn't alone to help keep her fragments firmly in place. She wasn't the orphan sister giving her all to take care of her baby brother with no help anymore. Emmy, Troy, Peter and his family were all shoulders. But most of all the primary person for her to count on was Lulu.

A little baby girl from her womb was someone she could ask for reassurance whenever she needed to. When her heart was hurting, all Lulu had to do was smile or call her name.

Love had never been so simple.

There was a baby under the watch of an adoptive mother to Eliza. There in that apartment she was being taken care of and she was where she needed to be. And Eliza put herself where she was required of as well.

Vigorously typing and researching, Kelly had the report in Blackwell's inbox in forty-five minutes. With her CFO's prompt turnaround times, Eliza had whipped together the report for her next session for the following day. Then, she had lunch with a worrisome Troy, who– for once– couldn't get her to confess what happened in Blackwell's office during business hours. Time flew by, and Eliza stared down the face of the clock without worry. Once it hit 6:30PM, she was going home.