Ch. 35 - Ninth Wheeling

Chapter 35

"Peter, you're trying to get the ball in the hole, not the water."

Peter glares at Kyle. "Oh, really? I had no idea!"

I laugh, leaning my head against Peter's shoulder. "Mini-golf isn't for everyone, champ."

"Don't worry, champ," Trent teases. "You're only behind by like fourty-two puts."

The group laughs. I promise, we're laughing with him and not at him. It's just nice to be back with everyone, having a good time and goofing off.

Cassie and Kyle came back from New York, and they brought Kyle's best friend Luke with them. Trent graduated from college and was staying in an apartment near Emerson's college. Braden and his boyfried Derek drove back from Florida.

Clayton couldn't be here, for the boy is taking classes over at Oxford in Britain. I miss him a lot and expected him to be home for the holidays. Maybe Christmas.

Peter walks across the small bridge to pick up his ball out of the water. "How many more holes?"

"Only three."

He groans loudly and trudges to hole sixteen. I follow him, grabbing my ball out of the hole from fifteen. I'm actually a really talented golfer, but I'm playing just a tad bit worse to avoid hurting Peter's feelings.

"So, Grace, how's your sister doing?" Luke asks.

"Still dating Robert," I say, patting his shoulder kindly.

He shakes his head. "Total brown paper bag."

"It wouldn't matter if she was dating Robert or not, Luke. You could never get with a girl like Scarlett," Trent says with a laugh.

"Hey, Peter got with Grace," Luke argues. "If that happened, I think I can get with Scarlett."

Peter scrunches up his face. "What is that supposed to mean?"

I pat his stomach, kissing his shoulder blade. "Don't worry about it, Pete."

After finishing the game, the nine of us head over to the diner. Kyle and Cassie go up against Trent and Emerson in a piggy-back race. Braden and Derek are much father ahead to see the winner whereas Luke runs along side of the couples to make sure there are no technical fouls.

"I missed this," Peter says absentmindedly. "I'm kind of a loner at my college."

"Yeah? I thought you said you hung out with your roommate a lot."

He sighs. "Not really. We're too different. Everyone likes partying in their free time."

"What about that girl from your art class...uh..Hilarie?" I say and snap my finger when I figure out her name. "You told me she was really mellow. Do you hang out with her?"

"No," he admits. "She never texted me back."

I pout my lip, my heart hurting for Peter. He's still so shy; that's just who he is. "Hey, it's her loss. Once they know how great you are, you'll be the most popular kid in school!"

"Yeah, I don't know." He puts his hands in the pockets of his jeans. "I thought I'd love the city, but it's all too hectic and-and I just miss home and my friends."

I hold my arms, biting my lip. "Why didn't you tell me any of this? You told me everything was fine."

"I didn't mean to lie," he says slowly. "I just..I knew you were happy. That's really all that matters to me."

"Well, I have to know whether your happy or not! Do you know why?"

"Why?"

"Because that's all that really matters to me, Pete," I say and stop walking.