Ch. 17 - Hear You Me

Grace's audition song to the side -->

Chapter 17

"You look beautiful, Grace."

I smile into the mirror and adjust my dress. My cast is not a flattering accessory. Frowning, I turn to face my sister and my mom. "I look stupid."

"That's not true," Scarlett defends and comes to stand behind me in the mirror.

I look at her through the mirror. It's clear that we're sisters with our wavy brown hair, brown eyes, and pale skin. We're just so different though.

She's absolutely stunning and doesn't even have to try. She has this permanent smile on her face, even when she's broken inside. It makes her carefree and love able, just as everyone believes she is.

I always envied Scarlett. She had the perfect life of popularity, boyfriends, parties, and the look. I mean, I was just known as Scarlett's baby sister.

My mom would say that I didn't know how she was truly feeling, but never thought to tell me just how broken my sister was. I went on thinking that she had it all.

That was until the day I caught a glimpse her breakdown right in front of me.

I heard a scream from her room and ran over to her door, catching the sight of something I'd never forget. Her cheeks were tear stained, her eyes blotchy. She stood in front of her mirror, shards of glass surrounding the floor.

She saw me in the reflection of her mirror and slammed the door immediately after.

I didn't think to tell my mom. I told Andrew. He said that everyone has a breaking point and Scarlett had hers that day.

"I'm going to mess up," I mumble. "I'll forget the lyrics or something."

"Just don't worry about it." There's that carefree quality. "You're a great singer and that's all that matters."

I sigh and look into the mirror one last time before heading downstairs. My mom and Scarlett trail close behind, snapping pictures of me.

"Good luck, honey," my mom says and kisses my cheek.

"Thanks."

Scarlett helps me to the car. I glance at the Watson's house, secretly wishing Peter would be accompanying me to my audition. He did pick the song after all.

When we get to the school, my nerves start taking over. "This was a stupid idea. Take me home."

It takes Scarlett about twenty minutes to get me out of the car and in the school. I stand in line with a pout as I wait for my turn. Scarlett heads into the auditorium to watch the other auditions.

Every time I hear 'next', my heart rate speeds up. The last time I sang in front of people was karaoke night with Andrew. I shudder at the memory.

"Lambert," my name is called.

I'm about to turn around when I remember Peter's words.

Sing it for Andrew.

With his voice in my mind, I push myself to walk on to the stage in front of the 'judges'.

"Hi," I breathe awkwardly.

"Yeah! Go, Grace!" Scarlett screams from the back row, standing up and clapping.

"Hey, are you supposed to be in here?" one of the judges asks her.

She sits back down and remains quiet, giving me a thumbs up. I can't help but smile and wave to her.