“I just- damn, I just wanted to believe that there were good ones out there!” he mumbled, turning his face away in shame. A hand descended onto his shoulder and he looked to see Sasuke staring at him with an unreadable emotion in his eyes.

“You’re safe, Naruto; that’s all that matters.” Onyx locked with sapphire and a small understanding passed between them, making Naruto sigh. A small smirk then overtook the raven’s mouth and he turned to face the front.

“Dobe, pull over; you’re tired,” Sasuke muttered, surprised when Naruto didn’t argue, but pulled over and allowed Sasuke to take his place behind the wheel. There was the crunching of tyres on asphalt before Sasuke had floored the accelerator, heading towards the destination of their next case. As they neared the town and the sun began to rise, Sasuke stole a glance of the slumbering blond who seemed to be at peace with the world. A snort threatened to escape as Sasuke thought of the concept of ‘peace’. The world hadn’t had much, and neither had they. But when there were the small moments like the one he was currently experiencing, Sasuke couldn’t help but feel that it was achievable, as long as he had Naruto by his side. A small snuffle and moan caught Sasuke’s attention, and he frowned when he saw tan hands go to scratch at the stitches. With a small roll of his eyes, Sasuke gently slapped the hand away from the healing area. He faced the front again, only to have to slam the breaks on as a deer landed in front of him.

“HOLY SHIT!” he cursed, earning a strangled yell from the blond beside him.

“What the fuck just happened?” Naruto yelled, flailing in his seat whilst Sasuke took deep, calming breaths.

“Deer,” he gasped, a hand on his chest. Naruto frowned in a confused manner.

“Sweetheart,” he replied in a confused jest, not noticing the small blush that threatened to stain Sasuke’s cheeks at the reply.

“Sh-shut up, dobe! It just jumped right in front of me!” Sasuke stuttered slightly, earning another confused frown from the blond- Naruto had never heard Sasuke stutter once in his entire life, and he had known Sasuke for most of his life. However, he ignored it and leant against the window once again, trying to get back to sleep, not noticing the worried look in Sasuke’s eyes as rain started to hit the windscreen and he turned on the wipers.

Pb

Naruto slammed the door shut of the motel they were staying in for the duration of the case and threw himself onto the bed that had been used by so many people before him. Sasuke looked up from his position at the desk, laptop light hurting his eyes in the dark of the room.

“What’s up, dobe?” he asked the blond, who groaned in return, one arm thrown over his face, shielding his eyes from view whilst the other slipped under his own top, rubbing at his chest slightly.

“Dead ends. A lot of them,” he replied tiredly. Sasuke sighed, knowing that whenever they weren’t progressing that Naruto got a bit antsy. Humming in contemplation, Sasuke got up from his place at the small table and sat on Naruto’s bed, carding his hand through the blond locks in the way that he knew would calm the blond down.

“Don’t stress so much; we need to go see the coroner to assess the bodies,” Sasuke told the blond, who hummed in content when Sasuke’s nails scratched his scalp slightly.

“Yeah, you’re right,” he murmured, sitting up, making Sasuke’s hand slide back down to its owner’s lap.

“Let’s suit up then,” Sasuke told the blond, who groaned in return.

“I freakin’ hate suits- they make me feel like I’m a Blues brother,” Naruto commented, earning a slight chuckle from the raven as he grabbed his own suit from the suitcase he had neatly stored under his bed. Naruto, however, was finding it difficult to find his things as he had strewn his clothes around the area. Eventually, Sasuke was completely ready, but waiting on Naruto, who had only stuffed on his shirt and black slacks.