~A debt to collect~

Start from the beginning

Caroline frowned. She could feel her shaking.
"Eva what is the matter?" She looked at her.
Not able to talk and still shaking from fright she shook her head.

She pulled her away from the stables and continued holding her tight until they reached the manor.
Standing in the garden, Caroline wiped away her tears with sweet words to soothe her. She helped her straighten out her hair and dress.

"Are you alright to enter?" Caroline asked.

She really was not. She was terrified.
What was she going to do?

She nodded her head breathing in deeply.

They entered slowly from the rear of the manor and slipped slightly into the crowd. A few giggles and familiar faces of young girls flounced forward giddy and happy as ever.

"Oh! Evangeline come with us for some punch," Julia, Lord Hastings daughter beamed.

Before she could protest she was pulled out of Caroline's hold and whisked away to the far end of the room towards a group of young friends that awaited them.

~•~•~•~•~•~

He finally found her and would stop at nothing to have her. Now that he has seen her and knows where she lives it won't be before long that he shows up again.

And takes her.

She was good, he smirked. She managed to hide from him for 3 years. And in the process has turned into quite the beauty.

Standing in the shadows near a tree, he stared at the manor that still had a lot of people.

With one last look he turned and walked away.

Good things come to those who wait.

~•~•~•~•~•~

The days following Evangeline's ball, Adrian sat idly by with the foulest mood as the foyer was filled with every trinket, bobble, flower and confection under the sun that was sent to Evangeline by love struck suitors.
How he wanted to shove every last bouquete down their throats, toss them out on their asses and just slam the door in these randy bastards faces.

Jealousy was eating him alive.

He wasn't prepared for this. It appears that the veritable beauty charmed the ton and made quite a statement.
Wherever she went these damnable popinjays clamored for her attention.

The sight of so many young puppies slobbering over Evangeline set his teeth on edge.

He wanted to kick them down the steps, and since he could not his anger built each day.

Taking a deep, controlled breath, Adrian walked toward the library , his mind racing. He slid open the door looking to be alone to hash out his misery.
But to his amazement that was not going to happen.

He entered slowly and his eyes fell to the young woodsprite that tormented his dreams. She sat curled up by the large window seat engrossed in a book.

A very familiar book.

One he not long ago hid from her curious eyes.

Clarissa

He didn't stand their unnoticed for long as she lifted her eyes from the book and rested them on him. Immediately she clenched the book nervously before grabbing enough courage to challenge his penetrating gaze.