~Settling in~

As the days went by, they finally settled in to their daily routine. Adrian sent word to employ a part time governess until he could figure out what he needed to do.

Morning found them seated at the large table in the dinning room. The sweet smell of breakfast wafted through the air as Adrian sat at the head of the table drinking his coffee and reading his morning news paper. The slight giggle and childish laughter that rose from further down drew his attention away from the black letters on the paper before him.

He smiled slightly at the view before him. It was so much different from the very first breakfast they shared. They sat rigid barely looking at one another as they picked at their food. Eyes that held so much sorrow now lit with mischief and joy sat before him. He had no clue what to do with them until he finally found it was not a difficult task to watch over them.

Adrian became intrigued by the two rascals who had been made his responsibility. He watched them through breakfast, while poor Tonk ate like there was no tomorrow he chuckled at the scamps ravenous appetite, he was also pleased to see Evangeline take dainty bites of food. She used the correct silverware and also kept her elbows off the table while ever so often she would correct Tonk and teach him to do the same.

Their small talks became long conversations where they spoke of just about everything. He noticed that Evangelines signs of distrust towards him slowly began to thin. He mused at how she tried so hard to be as brave as Tonk, but her strong emotions released the terrified proper young lady she desperately tried to hide under the guise of a street urchin.

A moment had passed and the inevitable needed to be taken care of. There were so many loose ends that needed to be secured before this reality of theirs crumbled. There was the fact that Tonk had a family member that knew nothing of his existence and he needed to do the right thing and fix that before things went any further. Then there was the possibility of Evangeline's father turning up and taking her back. It saddened him a bit that this could come to pass, but before he grew more attached to them he needed to settle this matter of utmost importance quickly.

He lowered his paper and sat back silently taking in the view of the two giggling as they ate. He bit back a smile as he watched Tonks eyes beam with wonder at Evangeline's stories.
He cleared his throat and it caught their attention.
Their laughter slowly quieted to worried glances as they took in his serious glare.

"I want to speak with the both of you. It is very important that you understand what I am about to say." He began.

He looked at Tonk and held his gaze.
"I spoke with Harold, Thomas and I informed him of your past. I am aware that you have a father that knows nothing of your existence and I feel it is only right that we search for him," he watched Tonk frown.

"Does that mean you don't want us here?" He asked.

Adrian felt his heart tighten at his sullen eyes and the way he slouched in his chair.

"No. Tonk it does not mean I don't want you here."

"Then why would you let him take Tonk away," Evangeline cut in.

He looked over to her. Her eyes held a sheen of unshed tears that glistened.

"Understand me please, I don't want this to happen any more than you do."

"Then don't let him get taken away," Evangelines pleaded.

"I can not do that. The same goes for you, Evangeline. If your father appears, by law I must turn you over to him," he tried to explain.
Shaken her head she began to cry.
His heart surged as she shook her head and met his gaze.
"You don't have to worry about my father ever coming to claim me," her voice faltered as she lowered her gaze.

"Games and drink were his only interests, that he saw it necessary to hand me over to that devil," she dashed a tear away furiously.

Something painful sparked behind her eyes. It was there for the slightest moment and masked the next.

"I hope he is found floating belly up in the Thames, t'is the least he deserves for what he did to us," her voice faltered beneath her tears as she looked away ashamed at her words.

Overwhelmed and not able to contain her tears she abruptly stood and ran out of the dinning room.

Adrian sat in awe at her emotional outburst. She was indeed very upset, cursing under breath he did not mean to cause her such pain or upset her.

He stood immediately and followed her as her feet took her quickly up the steps in a run towards her room.

Taking two stairs at a time he gained on her before she turned into her room. Quickly he caught her by her arm and stopped her from running off. He gently turned her to face him. He bent to his knees and had her before him eye to eye.

"You can not let them take me away, or Tonk. Please...." She wept frantically.

His chest felt tight with her cry. He had no clue on how to comfort a young girl. Instinct mixed with his urge to protect her and brush away all of her tears took over.

"Come here," he said softly pulling her into his arm.

In his arms, she burried her face with the stream of tears into his shoulder as he hushed her with comforting words and rubbed her back.
"I won't let anything bad happen to you, I promise," he closed his eyes tightly and held her close.

In his arms she felt safe. It was then at that moment nothing else mattered, she became a part of his life.