Chapter 12~ Mama Drama

Start from the beginning

"Not likely." I muttered to myself, but nodded at my mom. She hovered awkwardly for a few seconds longer as if she wanted to say more, but then she turned and stalked back towards the penguin enclosure, her heels clicking on the pavement.

"So that was Courtney Conway." Noah stated, shoving his hands in his pockets as he stared after her.

"That was the wicked witch of the West." I agreed.

"She's kinda... hot. But also intimidating."

"Eww! Noah!" I turned and slapped his arm roughly, and he chuckled.

"What? She's related to you isn't she?" He asked rhetorically, and I rolled my eyes, starting to walk back towards the spinning top ride where Sam and Kiely were. Was that kind of an almost-compliment?

"I can't believe she's back-- I can't believe she didn't tell me she was coming." I mutter as I run my hands through my hair and plop back onto the bench.

"She really didn't tell you that she was coming back to town?" Noah questioned and sat down beside me. I stared blankly at the floor, overcome with emotion. My own mother hadn't cared enough about me to want to see me after two years.

It didn't matter; I didn't want to see her either.

"Nope. It doesn't surprise me really." I responded flatly before standing up and exhaling quickly. As I stood, Kiely and Sam appeared before us, giggling manically.

"Hey." Kiely greeted, and I smiled in response.

"How was the ride?"

"Issy it was great, you would have loved it! Did you guys get up to any mischief whilst I was gone?" Sam asked with a cheeky glint in her eyes, as if she was insinuating something more. I narrowed my eyes and shook my head.

"Not really." Noah answered, standing up and slouching his arm over my shoulders. I rolled my eyes at the gesture and poked him in the ribs, making him laugh. Kiely and Sam stared at us like they knew something we didn't, and then they nodded towards the path and we started to walk back into the centre of the park where all the action was happening. I couldn't help but stare at the penguin enclosure as we passed by, watching the crowd of people swarm towards my mother wanting autographs and photos.

She was like the freaking Kim Kardashian of the dating guru world.

"Hey, what's happening over there?" Kiely questioned, her auburn ringlets swinging as she turned to look at the kerfuffle.

I placed my hand on her shoulder and steered our group away from the drama. "Nothing. Absolutely nothing."

***

The rest of the day was spent looking at the various sea critters and keeping a steady stream of food going towards Noah, who constantly complained of being hungry. I wished I could say that I'd had fun, but in all honesty I spent the whole day terrified that I would run into my mother again.

Noah was particularly and peculiarly nice all day, which made me wonder if he could tell how much our run in with my mom had bothered me.

As we exited the park at around five pm, I started to walk towards Sam's car when something, or rather someone, pulled me back.

"No way little Cupid, you're coming with me." Noah insisted, holding my arm like I was a toddler who would run away the second he let go.

"But Sam-"

"-is a big girl who should spend some alone time with her date." Noah interrupted my protest, and I sighed in defeat and let him lead me to his swanky car. He opened the passenger door for me but then shoved me inside, completely ruining the gentlemanly action.