Blur

The next two days were a total blur. I walked around in a constant state of want, catching Owen's eye. Watching him run along the beach, or come out of the pool dripping wet. But we hadn't stolen any time together since the other day on the couch. It was driving me insane, and our days were numbered. Five more days before we would all be heading back to Wisconsin. And I had no idea where that left Owen and I. It seemed like my parents were always around, or Chris and Rena would pop up just when we thought we were alone. I stood in the bathroom of my room. Trying to concoct some sort of plan to steal Owen away at the bonfire party. I ran light pink lip gloss over my lips. I had on a pair of well fitted tan shorts with my black and gold bikini. I hard curled my hair so it fell in fat ringlets along my shoulders. I wanted to look as inviting as possible just in case Owen and I did get a chance to sneak away.

     I made my way into the kitchen after finishing my light makeup. The sun was starting to set outside and mom and dad were moving around the kitchen, grabbing supplies for the bonfire. "So a bonfire huh?" Owen came up behind me, his chest brushing against me as he walked past. I stared at him. He was wearing a pair of dark blue swim shorts and a white button up shirt, open and flashing his abs. He walked over to my mom, taking the pack of beer out of her hands. "Yes. It's a tradition we have with those we share this part of the beach with. Kind of an end of summer bash." mom smiled at him, grabbing the bowl of watermelon from the fridge. Dad was carrying mom's swim bag and another pack of beer. "It's a lot of fun man. We roast marshmallows, surf, play volley ball and football. It's the best part of the summer." Chris appeared in the patio doorway wearing his swim trunks, sunglasses covering his eyes. "Alright gang. Are we ready?" dad looked around at all of us. I checked my swim bag one last time and followed everyone out the patio door. I kept a good distance behind Owen so I could watch him walk.

     Mom and I were set up near a couple other girls laying out on their beach towels. Some of the men were starting the fire and mom and I set up our fold able lounge chair. "It's so perfect out here." I said to mom as I sat back. The sun was perfect, it was the golden hour. I pulled my phone out and took a few pictures of the ocean, of the people hanging around chatting. "We really are lucky, aren't we?" mom looked over at me as Rena came over with her chair, setting up next to me. "Hey sweetie." mom smiled at her, her voice went up at least two octaves when she spoke to her. Babying her like she always did. I looked out at all the people. Some were playing volleyball, others were tossing a football around including my dad and Chris. I looked around for Owen. "Who is that?" the women we had set up next to sat up on their towels. They were about mom's age and we'd known them for ages. Mom and I looked over to them, following their gaze to Owen. 

     He was slowly walking out of the water, dripping wet. His white shirt clung to him, see through from the water. His face was stern and he stood up tall, strutting over to his stuff a few feet ahead of us. "That's Owen, right Z?" Rena's words were loaded but like the other women and mom I couldn't pull my eyes away from Owen. "He's hot isn't he?" mom looked over to the other girls who nodded frantically. We all watched as he patted a towel along his chest. He was looking at his phone, suddenly moving it to his ear. I scowled, wondering who he was talking to. The only time I'd ever noticed him on his phone was if he got a business call. But it was almost nine now, what business could there be this late? He dropped his towel and walked away from it, heading over to a part of the beach where no one was gathered. He looked angry, his lips moving fast. "Uh oh. That doesn't look good." mom nudged me, laughing a little. "I'd be okay if he was angry at me." one of the ladies winked at us, all of them bursting into a fit of giggles. "Honestly I just don't get it." Rena rolled her eyes. "Right, because he has teeth, isn't addicted to Meth and he has abs for days. Yeah, I can see how that isn't appealing." I shot back at her. I was not in the mood for her shit tonight. I'd done my best to avoid her the past few days since she blew up on me. "Suzanne." mom scolded me. "I'm going to take him a beer. I'll be back." I quickly stood up, walking over to one of the coolers and grabbing a beer. 

     I slowly approached Owen. He had his back to me, his hand on his hip as he spoke into the phone. His voice was harsh, he wasn't yelling but his words hit the phone as if he was. "No, that's completely unacceptable. I mean what the fuck was she thinking?" His shoulders were tense and I stopped a foot or two from him, clutching the beer and holding my breath. Who was he talking to? And who was he talking about? "I mean I knew it had gotten bad but I...I had no idea. It doesn't matter, she needs help. Figure it out." he pulled the phone away from his ear and turned to me now. His brow was scrunched and there was a look in his eyes I wasn't sure of. His eyes lightened when he noticed me. "Uhm, I brought you a beer." I held the can out to him and he smiled faintly, taking it and cracking it open. I watched him chug at least half of it, panting a little as he pulled it away from his lips. He stared at me. "Is...everything okay?" I stepped a little closer. Everything about him drew me in anytime I was near him. He stepped a little closer now too.

     "Yeah. Don't worry." he smiled at me and rubbed the back of his neck. Something was bothering him but I knew I shouldn't pry too much. He seemed too irritated for that. We stared at each other for a long time, listening to the noise of everyone behind us. "This is driving me crazy." he finally said to me. He looked at me, then turned his head to the ocean. The sun was almost gone now, everything pink and light blue around it. "What?" I asked, unsure of what he meant. "I need to touch you. To kiss you. Not being able to is driving me insane." he looked back at me again, his eyes briefly moving along my body. I could feel my skin heat under his gaze, under his words. "I feel the same." I said back to him, running a hand through my hair. He stepped a little closer to me, I could hear his breathing growing heavier. "Owen! Come on man we need another man!" Chris's voice rang loud across the beach, breaking us of our trance. Owen sighed loudly and scratched his chin. "As always..." he growled a little, nodding to me and walking away towards Chris. I clenched my hand into a fist, trying not to let the frustration of it all get to me. I needed to touch him too. My body ached for his touch.