Chapter 2 - An Agreement

"I just witnessed mom and dad's death... Why do I feel so calm?"

You paced across the cell you were in for the umpteenth time. It's been about two or three hours since the guard deposited you in the cell and left to care for your siblings. 

You were thankful that the soldier so graciously received your two siblings (B/N) and (S/N), but you wanted to get back to them as soon as possible. This was most likely due to the recent loss of your parents and the currently ensuing chaos on ground.

"I'll get a job," you decided. "I'll support them until they're old enough to help out. We'll find a cheap place to live."

You heard the entry door creak open and a pair of boots walk in. Turning your head, you saw a broadly built soldier with blonde hair walk into the main hallway.

He stopped in front of your cell and held out his hand through the bars for you to shake. Judging by the look on his face, he meant business with you.

"Commander Erwin Smith," he said as you shook his hand out of pleasantries.

"(F/N) (L/N)," you replied. "You're a commander though... Why are you here? Shouldn't you be fighting?"

You saw his eyes barely widen, then return quickly to their normal state.

"You're quick-witted," he remarked, sitting on a bench in front of your cell. "The attacks are over- but when I heard your story from Commander Pixis, I felt the need to pay you a visit."

You crossed your arms.

"You know, using 3DM gear unauthorized as a citizen can have large consequences," he flatly said.

"I did what I thought was necessary," you replied, making sure not to have any sarcasm in your voice. He didn't look like a man who was fun to be around when angry.

"And you didn't stop to help the dying soldier?"

"I did, which is how I got the gear."

"So you took it off of his dead body?"

"No. He gave it to me- then died."

Smith was quiet for a moment.

"How did you know how to use the gear?" he then asked.

"I read about it in a book once," you said. "I followed what it said."

He nodded.

"I would like to offer you a position in the Survey Corps," he said.

You stared at him incredulously.

"Why?"

"You've shown that you can utilize 3DM gear and keep a level head," he explained before adding a small chuckle. "Also, I was informed that you were found holding a large kitchen knife."

You felt your face slightly burn at his condescending tone towards your possession of the knife.

"I didn't know what to expect," you firmly explained.

"It proves you're capable of preparing for anything. If you join, you'll be pardoned from your court sentence and receive pay to care for your two siblings."

Court sentence?! In a time like this?

"I'll join," you said, knowing you needed the money.

Smith stood from the bench.

"You'll still have to go through basic training though. I'll see you in a few years."

You nodded as he moved over to the door, his eyes lingering on your form.

"However, when it comes time to choose your regiment, you have to choose the Survey Regiment. Otherwise, the court sentence would resurface."

Wow. All this trouble for one soldier.

"Okay. So you're black-mailing me," you said.

He gave a quick smile.

"We're not that bad, you know," he said before leaving through the door.

You sighed as the door closed.

What am I going to do?

~~(Timeskip)~~

After being released from the cell, you made your way out quickly to where (B/N) and (S/N) were being looked after by the designated garrison soldier.

The soldier looked at you as you hurriedly walked into the room.

"Do I need to continue to stay?" he asked.

"No, but thank you for your help."

He nodded before walking off. As he did so, your siblings came up and hugged you.

"What are we going to do?" your sister asked with puffy eyes, a result of crying.

You remained quiet for a moment.

"I... I don't know."

"When are mom and dad coming to get us?" (B/N) asked.

You kneeled down in front of him.

"They won't be coming," you replied, now feeling the tears prickling at the corners of your eyes.

Your brother's eyes widened as he understood that they were now deceased. He hugged you even tighter as he cried. Turning your head, you watched your sister simply sit on the ground. She then began crying.

Blinking a couple of times, you stood.

"Things are going to be different for us now," you quietly said. "We need to find a place to stay first."