Part 1

There must have been over a hundred people on the beach for the bonfire and the fireworks. Everyone was eager to kick off the summer with a bang. Teenagers were crowded around a keg someone decided to bring; which caused a domino effect of people turning up with more alcohol, and pretty soon after that it turned into a real party, red cups and everything. Nothing said teenage party like drunken girls and groping guys.

The few adults that had been on the beach before the party started were long gone. As soon as someone cranked the volume up on the stereo system wired to someone's car, the adults knew it was time for them to pack their belongings and go; they didn't want to become babysitters when things got out of hand. I couldn't blame them for leaving really.

A couple of college guys were dotted around, mostly here for the fireworks or because their sibling dragged them along so they could attend – even though most of the parents knew each other and would greet each other at the supermarket, they didn't want their baby's to get hurt by any passing strangers that stumbled into town. By the bored expression on most of the guys faces, you could tell this wasn't their scene; parties, sure, but underage girls in barely any clothing, no way.

Josh Wickon stood next to me as I gazed out at the sea, a soft smile on my face as I did so. It was impossible to wipe the smile off my face when I was near the sea or on the beach in general, it was so calming.

"Want something to drink?" Josh asked after a few beats of silence, his fingers squeezing mine lightly. "I can get us one if you want."

"I'm fine, thank you," I said, looking at him. "You can go get something if you want, I'll be okay on my own for a bit."

After reassuring him I'd be fine for the third time, he walked over to his friends and got a beer with them from a small table someone had set up – they had made sure it was anchored down with a thick pile of sand so it wouldn't blow over, though I doubted that would happen since there was no wind. The beer was very important to these people it seemed.

As the waves crashed against the shore, I walked along the beach. Slowly, more space was put between myself and the other teenagers. It was more relaxing the further I got away; I could feel my muscles unclenching with every step. It wasn't that I hated parties, I just couldn't stand seeing the girls that turned up in barely any clothing, determined to get drunk and hook up with any guy that breathed their way – it gave the rest of us girls a bad name.

After I walked a reasonable distance, I sat down on the cool sand and watched a crab scurrying along before it disappeared into the water. I slipped my shoes off and let my toes sink into the grains of sand. The smile that appeared on my lips was accidental, I didn't mean to sit on my own smiling down at my feet but I found it impossible to stop the grin. My favourite thing about the beach was doing exactly this and it always made me remember how my mum would tell me that if I did that, the sand would take forever to get off my feet, and even though she was right, I always did it. It was one of those little things I enjoyed too much to stop.

Time passed by slowly – my indication being that the stereo system changed songs three times – and I started to wonder whether the boy sitting on the rocks just a bit away from me was asleep. His still figure was facing towards the party but he didn't look like he was a part of it. How could someone possibly sleep with this music? I could still feel the vibrations from my spot.

"Hey, you."

"Here I am," I said, looking up at Josh's dark silhouette. "Started to wonder where you got to."

"Oh, Tess started talking to me," he told me as he dropped onto the sand.

I nodded and wondered what Tess wanted with Josh. Though she was one of my best friend's, I was still wary. I could never be sure with that girl what her intentions were. Even after all this time there was a part of me that found myself taking a step back and observing Tess's actions.