Love and Protect

WARNING: Long-shot

Mark's POV:
From behind the solid, white door of my bedroom, I patiently held my ear to the white, wooden entrance to my own room and listened solemnly; hoping to understand what my mother's rushed and giddy chatter on the phone was about.

I gathered from what I heard that she was talking to her best friend; Mrs McLoughlin, to me, and currently, Mrs McLoughlin was finally having something amazing and exciting happening. I knew all too well that the mother—slightly older than my own—had been given a big belly and couldn't walk around much anymore, so the frequent visits to her house bored me.

When she didn't have the bump, she would be a spry, loving person who would give me candy and play outside with me and her son. Her little girl would sit and thread daisies with my mom, who would only sometimes join in. Mrs McLoughlin used to be fun, and I used to love visiting her house; but ever since she got big in the tummy, she wasn't fun anymore.

She would spend her evenings inside, chatting with my mother and sometimes knitting. It was boring to just sit there and listen, but sometimes her boy, Ryan, would try to lighten things up with sharing his toys with me. Sure, I was only three-years-old and him, eight, but he was incredibly kind to me because I was such a close friend to the family.

I heard a more squeals and shrill voice, laced with an excitement which I could barely stand. What was making my mommy so happy, and why was she screaming?

When I heard her end the call and dash around the house, I pushed the door ajar, slipping my small frame out and standing in my doorway, watching as she ran around, mumbling something about the car keys could possibly be.

I rubbed my eyes and frowned, slightly disheartened by the fact she hadn't noticed me standing, watching her every move.

Her eyes x-rayed the room, until she spotted me and something on the vase-stand beside my bedroom door.

"Mark! Oh, honey, I have some great news," she promised, trotting over to me in high-heels and grabbing a pair of keys from the table. "The baby! Mrs McLoughlin's baby has been born!"

I tilted my head and sighed, now rubbing my chin. Is that what her bump on her belly was about? She was going to have a baby?

'How would a baby fit in there, silly?' I thought, and furrowed my brows in confusion. Then delighting thoughts filled my head of a new friend entering the world; despite being three-years-younger. A new McLoughlin to call friend!

I hurried to grab my coat, putting it on and skipping out to my mom.

"Are we gonna see it, Mommy!?"

"Him, dear, and yes of course! Why I reckon Mrs McLoughlin would be right to call us strangers if we didn't!"

I felt a bubble in my chest as I grabbed her sleek wrist and dragged her along out to the car, my brother, Tom, following in hot pursuit, skipping as fast as my tiny legs could carry me. I was so excited I felt like I could burst; and my thoughts were anything but focused.

'Will he be nice?'

'What color eyes will he have?'

'Oh, and hair! His hair! It could be yellow or brown or black or white!'

Mom put me into my seat, did up my belt, got into the driver's spot and like a bullet, sped to the hospital!

When we got there, we were invited into the room and I was more giddy than ever before; I was even shaking in anticipation.

I swung open the door, and all the heads in the room whipped to us.

Standing there were the littler McLoughlin's new family; his sister, his brother and even his daddy, who was usually at work in the day.