Part Twenty Six-(Lawson) X-Team Seven

"Sir, X-Team Seven has arrived." Dell's voice over the intercom on my desktop phone startles me a little, and it takes me a moment to respond to him.

"Have everyone come to the common room."

"Yes, sir."

I rub my face a couple times, trying to wipe away the exhaustion. I need sleep. Badly. It doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime soon, though. Hosting another X-Team is an honor, but the reason they're being hosted here is embarrassing.

By the time I reach the common room, X-Team Seven is already there. And there's no need for my eyes to search. They're just drawn to her. Vera. Her silver eyes meet mine, and she smiles. I hustle over and scoop her up into a giant hug.

"God, Vera, it's been too long," I whisper, closing my eyes as the scent of her tropical shampoo seems to entrance me.

Vera Killen. If there was ever a woman I could fall madly and deeply in love with, it would be her. As a doppelganger, her natural form is a sight to behold. Every physical trait she has is as average as you can get: long, brown hair, medium toned skin, not too thin, not too fat...literally plainly average. But, and it's a big but, every average trait she has is as perfect as it can be. Her skin of average color is flawless, not a single blemish anywhere. Her hair, as brown as brown can be, shines in even the dimmest of light. But she has one attribute that's anything but average. Her eyes are silver. Not grey. Grey is a flat color. Hers seem to have a shimmer within their depths, as if someone sprinkled them with tiny flecks of glitter.

But she didn't get her leadership position with the X-Teams because of her beauty. She's also one of the smartest people I've ever met. Calculating, cautious, and thorough. She acts with strategy and intelligence. She's probably the best of the best when it comes to helping us out with this little challenge of ours.

Yes. I could fall in love with her. But it'll never happen. As a doppelganger, one of very few left in the world, her kind have made a law that they are to only marry within their own kind. Sort of a save the species type of thing. My heart wants to explode every time I see her, but reeling it in each time is intensely difficult.

"Lawson!" she gasps. "I love you too, but I can't breathe!"

I release her, and she giggles. I almost outwardly groan at the enchanting sound but manage to hold it in.

I motion to her and her team to step into the common room. "Come on in, guys. Make yourselves at home. I'll get the rest of my team."

After pulling my cell phone from my pocket, I dial Dell's number.

"Yes, boss?" he says as he answers.

"Get on the PA, and tell everyone to come to the common room."

While waiting for the rest of my team, I look over Vera's. I recognize a couple of them from the last time I saw her, maybe five years ago, but the majority of them are new. All of their faces, except for one, draw merely mild curiosity from me. The one that doesn't is a tall, athletically built man who seems to make me nervous for some reason. It's like I recognize him but don't. His eyes wander the room, avoiding mine altogether. I don't know if it's on purpose or not.

Theo and Zane are the first ones who show up. Theo still looks like hell warmed over, and Zane's eyes sweep across team seven. He's getting a taste of each of their thoughts. Then his eyes stop on the man who's making me wary, and I begin to wonder.

"Everyone, these gentlemen are Zane and Theo. Zane is a mind-reader; Theo can control minds. They're quite the team themselves," I say, grinning widely at them.

Zane smiles warmly and shakes hands. Theo holds back, preferring to just nod his head and send tiny, fake smiles to each of them. Then Dell, Drew, and Az appear.

"Holy shit," Az says. His eyes lock on the man who seems to be making the rest of us uncomfortable. He smiles widely, and the man mirrors it back. "When did you break Satan's leash, Liam?" he asks as they embrace. Ah ha. Now all the discomfort makes sense. Liam is a demon.

"Several years ago," Liam responds. "You've created quite the stir down there, man. I'm not the only one who's made the leap into the light."

"How many others?" Az asks, holding Liam out at arm's length.

"There were about twenty that came with me. I don't know after that."

Now that Liam's smiling, his presence is a little more pleasant. We've gotten used to Az's effect, but I've never been around another demon. I guess their influences are a little different from one to the other. Trace and Tanga show up and begin shaking hands. Then all hell breaks loose.