Part Thirteen-(Lawson) Decisions

"What the fuck was that?!" The male human voice is about fifty yards away on my right. "Is it just me or did that thing look like a tiger?" Another says. "You idiot. Tigers don't live in the United States." "Did you shoot it, Jake?"

I hunch down and spot the group of three hunters standing at the edge of the clearing. Their eyes are wide, and I can smell the tang of fear. I'm sure if they weren't so focused on Tanga, they'd be able to see me, too. It's kind of hard to miss a six foot tall grey wolf; even through long grass.

Tanga! Are you okay?! I shout through the mental connection, but I get nothing back except Trace's confusion. God, please don't let her be dead.

What the hell happened?! Trace yelps from behind me. He's pretty far back in the forest, but he knows better than to continue moving forward. He'd make way too much noise.

Before I can respond to him, the hunters raise their rifles and step cautiously into the field. Fuck! If they find her... My alpha rushes to the surface. Protect the pack! And I do the first and only thing that enters my mind. I rush them, growling as loudly and viciously as I can. Their eyes swing in my direction, and the instant they spot me, they turn tail and run. I knew the chance that they'd try to shoot me was slim to none, but just the fact that the chance was there sends a shudder through me as I slide to a stop in the exact spot they had been standing. I listen to them stumble noisily off into the forest. I wait until they're a safe distance away and head back for Tanga, fear and concern making me run faster than normal. The long grass rips at the flesh on my face, but I ignore it, knowing that my ability to heal quickly will have that taken care of within minutes. I have a single thing on my mind, and it's not my injuries. I'm going to find Tanga shot and bleeding out, and there are certain wounds not even a shifter can survive. A silver bullet is one, but a regular bullet to a vital organ is another. I've never lost an agent in my entire time on an X team, and I'm not about to break that streak.

Suddenly her head pops up over the grass, her amber slitted eyes wide and frightened. I almost collapse under the weight of relief I feel at this moment. At least she's not dead. Her trembling voice appears through the connection. A beautiful, sexy voice I thought I'd never hear again.

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph. She whispers, her eyes scanning the entire field. Are they gone?

I bound toward her, closing the gap between us quickly. They're gone. Are you okay? My eyes sweep down her sleek, feline body and not seeing any signs of injury, I release a grateful sigh. The adrenaline that had been fueling my every movement a few moments ago rushes out of me, and I almost collapse.

I'm fine. Shaken and scared out of my mind but fine. She says.

I sit down as the ramifications of this incident now swim through my mind. Now that I know we're all okay. At least physically.

We're in deep shit. Trace states as he lumbers toward us, voicing my thoughts exactly.

We need to report this. I say, my head drooping. We're going to be taken off the case. The pup may not be found now, and he'll die. Not to mention what will happen to the rest of X-Team Three. I've heard stories of the government disbanding agencies over less infractions than this. I'm never going to be able to live with myself after this. I'm a horrible leader.

Sadness and worry overwhelm the connection between us all as we all feel the exact same thing.

I need to shift. I say. I have to call this in. I head off toward the edge of the clearing for some privacy, leaving my shocked and upset team members sitting in the field behind me. A chilly north wind whips through the tall grass seeming to shout angrily in my ears. Even Mother Nature seems angered.