Part Eleven-(Az) Unease

Amelia says I'm sensing something outside, a threat. No. The problem is that I'm not sensing something. The souls of all the little forest critters are gone. Just gone. Like there's nothing alive within a fifty mile radius. A sudden extinction or mass exodus. It's so quiet that it's almost hurting my ears. There are always souls around: human, animal, sometimes even certain plants. But right now, nothing. Am I losing my demon abilities? No, that's impossible. Something else is going on here, and I don't like it.

With the demon blade in hand, I crouch down just inside the cabin window and peek outside into the twilight dimmed woods surrounding us. The natural shadows created by the flora would frighten a human, or at least make them wary, but I can see through it all. All it is is lack of light. There's nothing hidden in the darkness. At least not right now.

I begin to feel my body responding naturally to the possible threat; my eyes turning pure black allowing me to see things humans could only dream of, my muscles tense and harden preparing for attack, my ears begin to pick up heart beats, breaths, and even ants crawling around on the porch step. Then I feel the blade seem to meld with my arm, becoming a living part of me. Of course, it's not physically becoming my arm, but the essence is there meshing with mine.

Whatever's out there, or not out there, had better be good because I just had an angel in my arms a moment ago, and it was hands down the greatest experience of my existence. She may be sick and injured, but she was there. And she wasn't running away like the rest. She was like holding the warmth of the sun in my hands. A sun that would never set.

I don't see or hear or sense anything outside the cabin so I stand up, hold a finger up to the girls, and quietly head outside. It's dusk, but my eyes allow me to see perfectly in the dim light. They're even better in the dark. The instant I step off the porch, I know something's wrong. Seriously wrong. I can sense Jeremy, or some unknown vampire. Maybe it's him or not, but there's something else, too. Something masking him. Whatever it is isn't very near him otherwise I wouldn't be sensing him at all. It's distant but not at a safe one.

I don't like this. I don't like not knowing what's going on. I'm the demon here; the master of evil creatures. And I can't put my finger on this one. All I can do is hope that whatever it is passes us by, perhaps giving us a cursory glance and realizing the fight isn't worth the spoils. Evil beings don't think that way, though. If they sense a soul as bright and pure as Jocelyn's, it's like a moth to a flame. Insatiable.

I head back in, keeping my eyes closed for a moment so as not to frighten Jocelyn. Cora and Amelia have seen my dead eyes a million times. They're used to it. But seeing something like that for the first time; no iris, no sclera, just black, is terrifying to everyone. I sheathe the demon blade and open my eyes once it's safe again. Cora and Amelia have their guns out and ready, no fear evident anywhere on them. I almost smile. I love my teammate's bravery in the face of almost certain death.

Jocelyn, on the other hand, is shivering as she huddles in Cora's arms. This could be the fever or fear or maybe a little of both, but I don't like it. And I'm finding that I don't like being separated from her, either. It's an odd feeling but one I could see myself definitely getting used to.

I approach the three women, and Jocelyn reaches out for me. She literally raises her arms as if to embrace me. This completely catches me off-guard. I'm not used to people actually wanting me near them. Usually their instincts tell them to back away, subconsciously sensing the danger I present, but for whatever reason Jocelyn wants me with her. Far be it from me to refuse her.

Cora releases an annoyed huff but releases the weakened woman to me, and I instantly feel whole again as I sit down behind her with her locked in the circle of my arms. I'm calmed, relaxed, at peace. I don't know what's going on here, but I'm not about to look a gift horse in the mouth. This warrior who once provided death and destruction for the prince of darkness is now the happiest he's ever been in his existence, and that's saying something.