Part Nineteen-(Lawson) Little Leo

"Remember, Leo, you have to keep just a little, tiny part of your mind on remaining in human form," I say as the young werewolf walking up on two feet for the first time in his life holds a clawed hand up in front of his face. "For now, try to focus on the burn in your leg muscles. That'll keep you human."

He nods, and we both watch his paw turn back into a hand again. I smile with pride. He's doing better than I thought he would. A quick learner. A werewolf's natural form is a wolf, and it takes months, sometimes years, of practice to learn how to remain in human form for long periods of time. So far, Leo has gone fifteen minutes.

"Mr. Lawson, sir," he says in a small voice. "The place we're going to, can I be a wolf there?"

"Of course. But I want you to stay human as long as you can, okay?"

"Yes, sir."

We've been hiking back to the airstrip for the last hour, and he's kept up nicely. I'm having to hold his hand to assure he stays standing, though, but imagine learning to walk upright for the first time when you're seven years old instead of two.

The hardest part to all of this, at least for me, is waiting to ask him about what happened to the pack. As a werewolf, it's normal for him not to react as emotionally as a human to the death of a loved one, but there's a shock period which I'm sure he's probably still going through. The conversation will have to happen at some point and soon, but I think it can wait until we're all more comfortable. Maybe on the plane ride back.

"Lawson, what are we going to do about being suspended?" Tanga asks nervously. "The others haven't heard about it, and I'm sure they're still out and about."

I sigh and look up at the darkening sky. "As soon as I get cell reception, I'll call them. I want updates from them anyway."

I take Tanga's silence as her understanding. Trace has gone on ahead in bear form to look out for other dangers that we won't be able to sense in human form. I haven't heard boo from him yet, but silence is good.

"Why don't we use the sat phone?" she asks.

"It's a recorded line. I don't want the feds knowing we didn't actually follow their orders." Brent would have a shit fit. We'd definitely be disbanded then. At least now we have a chance.

Suddenly Leo flops down into full wolf form and we stop. I look down at him as puppy dog eyes look back up at me. It's hard to be stern with this little man.

"Try again," I say patiently.

He shakes his head as if sneezing and then slowly forms back into a human again. First a foot, then a hand, and soon arms and legs. Once his head isn't so furry anymore, his gaze drops to the forest floor.

"I'm sorry, sir," he mumbles.

I kneel down in front of him and lift his chin back up with a finger. His grey eyes meet mine, a sobering hopelessness in his. "Don't ever be sorry for what you are," I say. "You are one of Mother Nature's most splendid creatures. There's nothing wrong with that." He nods his head and gives me a tiny smile. Then we continue on.

"This little guy is changing you, Lawson," Tanga purrs. I glance over at her and she's smiling crookedly.

I puff my chest out. The tough, badass alpha in me is wounded with her comment. "What do you mean?" I growl.

She shrugs as she gracefully leaps over a fallen tree. "I didn't know you had a soft side."

I let her comment go without a reply. She's right. He has brought out a soft side of me. One I didn't even know I had. And I kind of like it. I feel more human. Fatherly. There's nothing more alpha than being a father.