24;

A/N: CAN I JUST SAY; DRAG ME DOWN IS MY LIFE AND I LISTENED TO IT ON REPEAT WHILST WRITING THIS ENTIRE CHAPTER. THANK YOU ONE DIRECTION. THANK. YOU.

. . . .

The time I gave up.

It was 1D day, the boys and I had been awake for quite a few hours as we had to get to the studio, run through the eight hour programme, and help set up. I hadn't really spoken to Esther, it had been around two months since she told me about the holiday.

Although I was sad, I also wasn't the only person in this friendship. I'd finished tour a month ago, instead of going home I went between New York and LA seeing friends and having my sister, mum and Robin fly over to stay with me for a bit. I'd of asked Esther but getting hold of her nowadays was almost as easy as getting blood from a stone - every time I'd try; it was either answerphone or ignore and then a text ten minutes later with either; 'in a lecture', 'really busy. sorry' or 'just eating' and then she wouldn't even attempt to ring me back.

So gradually I gave up - there's only so much you can actually do.

It hurts because she's my best friend - she's supposed to be asking when I'm home, begging me to book the next flight home now that I'm not on tour. But instead, she couldn't care less.

I couldn't help but feel as if it was Nathan's fault too, she'd happily post about how amazing he is, or post instagram's of them, but when it comes to me.. nothing.

Fan's had noticed it too, tweeting such things as; 'is it me or has Esther forgotten about Harry?' or 'Esther always used to be with Harry but now they seem so distant.' And it goes on.

We had a few hours until we were going live, Zayn was sleeping, Louis was out at lunch with his mum and sisters, Liam and Sophia were somewhere in the studio and Niall was with Josh and Dan.

I sat alone in the dressing room and thought it would be the perfect opportunity to try and talk to Esther.

"Hello?"

I was shocked that she even answered. "Es,"

"Harry, how are you?"

"I'm great. How are you?"

"I'm good, I'm just taking a break from revision."

"Oh, you're revising?"

"Yeah for mock exams before Christmas."

I almost felt sad that I didn't know that. "Oh, right. How is that going?"

"Alright,"

"Good."

We were silent.

"So, what are you up to?" Esther asked, she sounded distracted.

"It's 1D day so, we've been setting up for that."

"Of course, I read about it on twitter. Fans are really excited."

"Yeah,"

"Hope it goes okay."

"Me too, I have to present for an hour with Niall."

Esther chuckles but it was forced and awkward. "Good luck,"

"Thanks, I'll need it."

"Congrats about the album, I read all about how it smashed records and stuff. Really proud of you,"

"Thanks Es, not long until it's out."

"Yeah, I've pre-ordered."

I smile. "You know I'd just give you one."