5;

The time I auditioned for X Factor.

I thought Esther was going to kill me when I woke her up at 6am. She was terribly grumpy and didn't speak to me until we arrived at Manchester arena.

By 16, we were still the best of friends, I had a job at a bakery and Esther helped out in a cosmetics shop on the weekend, she really enjoyed makeup and putting it on people, she even tried to put it on me once but it would take a lot more than puppy eyes to get me to wear makeup.

When I told her I'd applied for the X Factor she couldn't be happier, she was my number one fan and even made a 'Harry Styles is my favourite' tshirt.

She's made it to every band rehearsal and show I'd ever played with White Eskimo but she knew I wanted arenas and stadiums not old people's homes and pubs.

We waited in line for hours, I even had an interview for the show which was exciting.

When I was eventually called through I felt all of my nerves return, I guess waiting so long had made me forget about them.

Esther hugged me tight. "Just do your best, whatever happens is for a reason."

I smile and she hugs me again. "Thank you, Es."

She laughs and I see a tiny tear. "Go smash it,"

I wipe her eyes before turning away to hug my mum and sister.

I step onto the stage and my heart beats faster than it had ever beat before, but I knew it was now or never.

This is it.

. . .

"I can't believe you're through!" My whole family was ecstatic by the news, Esther especially. We drove back to Holmes Chapel, Robin had already booked us a table at my favourite restaurant to celebrate.

"H, when you're rich and famous - be sure to remember that £30 I lent you." Gemma joked as we sat down to eat.

Esther had been talking with my mum but when she turned round she gave me the most breath-taking smile. She oozed pride, as if I'd done something so overwhelmingly amazing.

And that's when I realised I didn't have a little, tiny crush on Esther, I was in love with her.