Now, this question I had prepared for. "I'm an editor currently. My job is to change and fix articles so they are appropriate for publication. Brimwell Publishing wants to completely redesign its publications. We want to change and fix this business. I believe being an editor has an advantage over others when it comes to being creative director."

A hint of a smile touched her mouth as she scribbled. "Can you see yourself in this position?"

I forgot to take my deep breath and answered, "I can. I believe—," I inhaled deeply —"I believe I am a creative individual who has the skills required to be in this leadership position. I work hard and efficiently. I am willing to listen to others' ideas, and I am willing to step up to say 'no' when it is necessary. I think the position will test me in new ways, and I will only improve. I believe I will make a fine creative director."

Once she finished writing, she smiled kindly at me. She set the clipboard aside and clasped her hands together on her knee. She stated, "Ms. Young, I want you to be aware that we typically do not hire such young persons for this position. Normally, we prefer that you have more job experience or at least have held a leadership position."

My heart dropped somewhere near my stomach. I knew that applying for this position was a risk, but I had hoped I'd be enough. I guess I wasn't and I would be stuck as a second-rate editor for the rest of my career.

She straightened. "But you should also be aware that the board might prefer someone younger. You could bring more modern, contemporary ideas to the table. Brimwell Publishing is going for a new look, and you might be it."

I tried not to let my hope soar. I was positive the interviewers were required to present both sides: you may or may not be hired. It wasn't very helpful, now that I thought about it.

"But we will review your, um, intriguing answers, as well as your other papers. From that, we will determine if you will be best for the position.

"We will make a decision by seven tonight. You will be contacted by email, initially, on whether or not you have gotten the position. So you should know by eight tonight at the latest," she informed me, smiling.

I stood up, wiping my sweaty hand on my skirt before I offered it to her. We shook hands as I said, "Thank you so much for taking the time to interview me. I appreciate it."

Her bright eyes twinkled. "Thank you for applying for the position. You're a very interesting woman, Ms. Young. It was nice getting to know you."

A broad smile appeared on my face. "Thanks! I'm glad you were my interviewer. You're really nice."

Why, yes, I did feel like a little kid saying that.

She chuckled and grabbed her clipboard. "Have a lovely rest of your day, Mr. Young."

"You too."

She went out the door, and once she was out of sight, I did a quick happy jig, singing quietly, "I think I nailed it! I think she liked me! Oh yeah, baby!"

I went to my office and packed, since I had nothing else to do. And getting out before ten a.m. on a Friday sounded wonderful. But I had to let Cranky Boss Lady know I was leaving early, so I went to her office and knocked on her door.

"Bridget," she acknowledged, setting a paper down. "What can I do for you?"

"Um, I just wanted to let you I'm clocking out early," I told her, pulling on my skirt.

She looked me up and down, taking in my heels (the only pair I owned and they pinched my feet), my pantyhose, my pencil skirt, my white blouse tucked in, and my hair in a nice bun (Sheila did it for me). By my appearance alone, she knew I had the interview today, since I never looked this good for work.