Chapter Twelve

Tehran's POV

I was going to kill Michael.

He had one job; to protect my mate from harm, and he failed.

My heart stopped when the head of my warriors mind linked me to tell me that my apartment was feeling up with smoke and that my precious mate was still in there. Terror and panic gripped me and I couldn't breathe. I left the disgruntled ex-council member and ran out of my office, praying to the high heavens that my baby was okay.

I had reached the back yard and Skyler was on the grass, hugging his knees and sobbing. The sight broke my heart and then I became mad.

"Why the hell is no one examining him?!" I yelled out, "Where the fuck is my father?"

At the sound of my voice, my mate locked his tear-filled gaze onto mine, and bawled harder. I ran to him and gathered him into my arms.

"Baby, are you okay? Are you hurt?" I patted him down making sure that he was all in one piece. All around us people were frantically trying to get their loved ones out of the building. 

"Get the women and children outside now!" I barked out orders. My warriors didn't yet know the extensive damage of the fire or what caused it.

Skyler clung to me like a life line and his whimpers were practically breaking my heart. My poor mate was probably traumatized.

"It's okay baby. I'm gonna make sure everything is alright. We'll get to the bottom of this," I meant for my words to comfort him and give him peace of mind, but instead, he got worse. 

My father came running towards us and I gently lay my mate down on the grass and allowed him to examine him.

"I'll be right back," I told him, trusting his care to my father. 

I made my way to my head warrior and he looked both amused and exasperated.

"We've gotten all of the people out of the pack house and my men are currently trying to air out the space. It wasn't a fire, Sir," he said.

I was sure that my face showed my confusion.

"We were examining you apartment, sir," he said and he urged a warrior forward, "it seems that someone was playing house."

I looked at what the warrior had in his hands and I understood. He held a tray in his hands and on that tray was a charred, pitch black circle.

"Someone was cooking and apparently, burnt whatever this is. It alerted the smoke alarm and of course, fogged up the apartment. With a little bit of airing out the pack house should be fine. But, Alpha, your stove and oven are beyond repair. Your apartment is all smoked up and I would not advise going in there at least until my men can fix it up."

I was about to ask him a couple questions when Michael suddenly appeared, a look of immense guilt on his face.

"Is Skyler alright?" he asked. I nodded my head to where my mate and father were situated. Michael let out a sight of relief and then his face held fear.

"Where were you Michael?" I asked, my tone cold and void of emotion.

"I had to go pick up Ben. He said it was an emergency," he said, his back ram-rod straight.

"And was it?"

"He and Dave got into a fight," his eyes shifted away, "a physical fight. And Ben had to go to the hospital. He didn't want me to tell anyone but since I'm probably going to be dead come morning, might as well tell you."

I could feel a headache coming on. 

Skyler decides to cook for whatever reason that I couldn't see. If he was hungry, he could've called the cook and asked for something to be prepared. Now my little brother/Theta is being abused by his mate and Michael seems to think that keeping secrets and defying my orders is okay.