Chapter 57 Part 2 - Ellie

*Beauty*

There was something—terrifying, about hospital waiting rooms.

This one especially. The neonatal unit my mom had picked was sleek, with pastel pink walls, fresh flowers and sleek fancy paintings; we had even been allowed our own waiting room, right outside her doors.

But that just made it so much worse.

Because we could hear the muffled panic in the other room. I felt as if I was drowning.

Selena squeezed my hand, "Chill," she drawled, "it's going to be fine."

My voice shook, "This is all my fault—"

Juliana (on the phone, trying to reach Amelia) pointed at me, her eyes flashing, and I fell silent.

And then, just right then, the sound of crying.

We all went still. There were a few breathless moments before the doors swung open.

I was so dazed that I barely noticed my sisters pushing me along.

And then we were in the hospital room; my mom, more dishevelled than I'd ever seen her, cradling a small bundle, and my dad hovering over her, cheeks wet with tears.

He grinned at us, waved us forward, "Come on—meet your little brother."

There was an awed silence as we gathered around the bed.

"He's so small." Her voice was so quiet that I jumped when I noticed Amelia at the foot of the bed, her eyes wide.

Mom blinked at her, and then her face crumpled, "Do you want to hold him?"

Amelia looked as if she wanted to run, but mom was already passing the baby to her.

Amelia held it as if she was holding a bomb, blue blanket curled around the infant.

She stared down at it as if staring at a wild animal, "I can't believe it's a boy."