Chapter 26 - Will

*Geek Boy*

I couldn't move.

I couldn't even breathe.

I just sat there, staring at him.

Jed.

He had aged. His habitual smirk had vanished, replaced by a tight icy smile. He was more muscular, his muscles straining against his t-shirt and jeans. His hair was shorter too, neat and cut close to his scalp. Eyebags darkened his face, clinging beneath dulled eyes. He carried one bag with him, hooked over his shoulder. His other hand held a bouquet of roses.

"Hey, little brother." His voice was gruffer, deeper and slightly hoarse.

Excessive drinking destroys your vocal chords, I remembered in the far corner of my mind. Or maybe it was smoking that destroyed his lungs.

I was going to be sick.

My fingers clenched the tabletop.

What was he doing here?

His eyes, alarmingly identical to mine, flickered to Ellie next to me. "Sorry. It appears I've interrupted something." He smirked and I felt like someone had just punched me in the stomach. "Is this your girlfriend?"

I snapped back to reality.

Ellie. Ellie was here.

She was staring at him now, eyes wide, confusion painting her features.

I got to my feet abruptly.

"Ellie," my words came out rapidly as I held my hand out to her,"come with me please?"

She looked at me in surprise. Finally, she nodded, slipping her hand into mine as she hopped off the stool.

Jed didn't say anything, watching us, a vein pulsing nearly imperceptibly in his jaw.

I led her out to the car, anxiously digging through my pocket for the keys.

Her voice was soft when she spoke. "Will, what's wrong?"

I snapped out of my daze, taking in her expression. She was staring up at me, completely confused, concern flickering in her eyes.

Wow Will, you're a horrible date.

I gave her hand a quick squeeze, attempting to reassure her. "Ellie, I'm going to have to cut our session short."

I finally found my keys and unlocked the car. I pulled her door open for her. "Can you wait for me please? I'll be back in a minute."

She bit her lip and nodded hesitantly. An expression flashed in her eyes--disappointment.

I felt it like a pang to my chest.

I'm sorry.

She entered the car, attempting a smile. Guilt gnawed at me. I was finally with Ellie Kent and I was ruining it.

After shutting the door behind her, I turned and entered the house.

Jed was sitting on a couch in the living room, his expression brooding as he fiddled with the hem of Ellie's cheer bag.

"Cheerleader, huh?" he asked, inspecting the cheer label on the bag. "I'm impressed."

Clenching my jaw, I grabbed the bag, pulling it out of his grasp. Then I made my way to the table, picking up some of the notes I'd made for Ellie. Rapidly, I turned and left, heading back to the car.

Gosh, how this day had gone completely wrong was beyond my comprehension.

My eyes caught Ellie's through the wind shield. She looked away quickly.