If only I knew it when I was younger.

Gabby bumped my shoulders lightly, "Okay, I'll rephrase the question, did you snog him?"

I scoffed, "I wish."

Gabby raised her eyebrow, "What does that mean?"

We were heading to our favourite Café, Romano's café. "We didn't snog," I admitted. We neared the café, it's a gorgeous place painted in beautiful shades of brown. The door is a clear glass door with the words 'open' on a hand painted sign. Romano's the café, you'll see on your Instagram feed of artistic coffees, wooden tables and vintage decorations. I open the door, only to catch sight of Duke and Adeline.

My stomach dropped, they're sharing an ice-cream pie, together, alone. Adeline's on her phone and she closed it, looking up at him, then beyond to us. Gabby, uncannily oblivious to my wariness, beamed and said cheerily, "Hey Adeline! Duke!"

Duke's back was towards us, he turned around, grey eyes meeting mine. I don't feel butterflies or like melting. Thinking about it, it was familiarity before, now it's anger.

"Hey Gabby," Duke grinned less enthusiastic, "Ivy."

I wanted to punch him, scream at him. Not only for dumping me but for being ridiculously attractive and making me lose my chance when he only wanted Adeline. I scowled. "Duke, Adeline, sorry for interrupting your date."

Adeline opened her mouth to respond.

I cut her off, "It's late, I've got to go," I turned around, walking stiffly to the door. Adeline's hand caught my arm. She was fast, I'd give her that. I turned to look at her, dark chestnut hair, I'd always admired Adeline's beautiful features from her mixed heritage, but now I loathed seeing them on her, fully aware Duke would have loved them.

"Ivy stop." Adeline said calmly, "Let's sit down and have a cuppa."

"No."

"Stop this Ivy," She muttered softly, "You're causing a scene."

I glanced away from her to the other small amount of customers, they were all glancing at me. The part of me, the private one hated it, I look back at Adeline, "Then let go," my voice was soft.

"No," Adeline smiled, "Please."

Relenting because it's unwise to cause a scene in public and not my forte, I'm dragged to the small table she shared with Duke. Gabby had pulled her own chair to the table and Adeline dragged a chair for me.

"Sit," She commanded.

"Do I look like a bloody dog to you?"

"The more you bark, the more I'm starting to think you are."

I scowled.

Before Adeline met me, she was ill equipped for retorts. She often shook it off. I suppose a few months of my comments made her well equipped for my barks.

I think back to Friday night and her attempt at getting Ethan and I to hook up, which was unfortunately unsuccessful. I wondered if he truly liked me, how he could resist the chance to kiss me.

Unlike Adeline, Duke is silent avoiding my gaze.

"Do you know communication is the best way to solve a situation before it gets out of hand?" Adeline said brightly.

I rolled my eyes.

Gabby used to Adeline's tactics to pull our group together nodded her head eagerly looking at the menu. Gabby has come here so often I'm certain she doesn't need to look at it. After a while of glancing at it, she handed it to me. "I know what I'm eating," She said grinning. Some part of me, felt that it wasn't a coincidence that I was here right now, during their date.