The Goal Post (2)

Dedicated to my first commenter, who brightened up my day.

_________________

"Duke had always been a boy I'd been smitten with. When he was infatuated with Ivy, some of the alluring parts of him was lost to me. He became my best friend's boyfriend and at the start, we fostered a platonic relationship.

They also mention that drunk actions are sober thoughts, so when one night Duke was wasted, he came to me. It was far from a cry of romance. The kind of romance, I had dreamed about at the start.

"Adeline," He called at the door of my house. I opened it only to have Duke, not wasting a moment, throwing himself at me. He planted a kiss firmly on my lips, brief and wholly unexpected that made me taste the alcohol on his lips. "I can't stop thinking of you," He said pulling away.

He collapsed in my couch that night.

Two days later, he left a note in my locker, for reasons I hadn't thought about I never told Ivy about the kiss or note or about Duke. I'd been excited, girlishly to find out what was in the envelope, the minute I was alone, I opened it, two words. Thank you. I felt my heart race."- Adeline Stone.

_________________

THE FOOTBALL FIELD was filled with boys aged fifteen to Eighteen, running around. I didn't sit on the bleachers, instead I moved to sit by the goalpost where Ethan stood in the blue training uniform. He kicked the football into the goalpost effortlessly. He wiped off a bead of sweat and looked at Mickail, the boy meant to be guarding the goalpost.

"What if I was a real opponent?" Ethan asked him, urging him to be better, "You've only a second to think, a second to react." He kicked the ball and Mickail missed again. The ball flew effortlessly into the net.

"I'm just trying to make you look good," He tilted his head to where I sat. I sipped the orange juice I was drinking, slightly amused by the thought of Ethan impressing me.

I raised an eyebrow, realising he wasn't even glancing in my direction I said louder over the sound of the noise from the other boys, "It'll be more impressive if you actually blocked it."

Ethan let out a soft chuckle.The boys continued practising. Unfortunately for our school, we didn't have the best football team, it wasn't one of the worst either but perhaps if the players took training seriously things might change. As I watched other boys goof off on the football field, I couldn't help feel disappointed.

Ethan scored eight more goals and the goal keeper, Mickail managed to stop two from entering before Ethan suggested a break for the younger player. Ethan came over to me and I handed him his bottle of cold water.

With an effective twist, he broke the seal, and drank the water. He closed the cap after drinking half the bottle. "Do you want to try?" He asked me tilting his head to the goalpost.

"And embarrass myself? No thanks."

"C'mon," he urged, "It'll be fun. Just like the old times."

The times I played footy with him, before Duke.

"That's what you said about football practice," I reminded him. He shook his head, sweat from his hair falling on me, "Stop that, it's disgusting."

"What is?"

I scowled, "Your sweat."

He held out his palm. I took it. he pulled me up, "You are such a girl."