15 ━ PARTY CRASHER

DESTRUCTION.
( chapter fifteen. )

Edited 12/29/2015 @4:51 AM

  ANDREA'S BODY REACTED BEFORE she had time to process what was going on. As the wall behind Ultron exploded and debris hurled itself across the room, Andy's instinct to move was simple; she had something to protect.

  She turned her back to the explosion as Iron Legion bots poured out of the wall, firing at will. Andy knew what she wanted, and that was to act as a shield between Henry and the rubble hurtling towards them. The power inside of her responded accordingly.

Andrea threw up her hands and the energy poured out of her like a door opening. It was tangible— real, and she immediately felt its effect. Her body hummed with something that felt like adrenaline, but her concentration was wavering. Exhaustion draped over her like a heavy blanket.

This was an ability she was unused to, a strain her body couldn't manage.

Still, Andy knew her shield was working and that was enough to keep her focused. She felt the rubble collide with the expelled energy, but it wasn't the physical sensation she had expected.

  Contact against Andrea's shield felt like the ghost of a nudge, but it was hard to control. With her limbs shaking against the effort to stand straight, the brunette looked to Henry who had collapsed against the ground.

"Run!" She cried out.

  Andy screamed as the energy came reeling back into her body, snapping against her skin. She immediately collapsed. It was a raw kind of pain, different from the exhilaration she had already learned to expect with this newfound power.

Andrea turned just in time, tensing as an Iron Legion bot flew straight for them. The last of the shield dissipated and, as her and the machine collided, the brunette was struck senseless. She didn't have the strength to fight as the machine lifted her from the ground.

"Andrea!"

The sound of Steve shouting her name faded with the shattering of glass. Warm air was suddenly replaced with crisp wind. But, even as her mind roused itself back into awareness, it was too late.

Within the next moment, Andrea gasped as she was let go, and her heart fell into her stomach.

  Her body was paralyzed  in a mixture of fear and the sudden onslaught of adrenaline. Her thoughts were scattered. There was no way out of this.

The Manhattan streets were flying to meet her and Andrea bit back a scream with every second they came closer. She couldn't spare a single moment of calm, not like this.

She closed her eyes, and the world went quiet.

  The first indication that she wasn't dead should have been the fact that the world wasn't actually quiet. Rather, the noise of Manhattan's streets were simply fading. The second indication should have been the wind that was still whipping around her face.