13 ━ ON THE EDGE

DESTRUCTION.
( chapter thirteen. )

Edited 12/29/2015 @4:35 AMEdited 05/23/2019 @8:18 AM

Edited 05/23/2019 @8:18 AM

[ SATURDAY NIGHT. ]

  THE NEXT FEW DAYS SEEMED TO PASS in a blur, leaving Andrea surprised. Somehow, moving on from one hour to the next was almost easier. No longer was there a weight bearing down on her shoulders, haunting her conscious, or gnawing at her chest─ and if there was, she knew there was someone she could always turn to.

It wasn't that Andy believed that one visit to the therapist had done all this either. It had taken months to even lead herself up to seeking help. It was just that, if she'd realized how better things would feel, she would have done it a lot sooner.

However, there was still the anxiety that shadowed her in times like the present. From where she stood in front of the mirror, Andy couldn't help but pace in front of the reflection that showed. It wasn't that she was self-conscious. She knew she looked fine.

It was just that she felt far from it. There was no telling who the Stark man had invited and, with her current status as the media's punching bag, she was worried about the reaction guests might have towards her.

After a few more minutes of hesitation, the Jones woman finally managed to school her emotions into collected calm. Andrea knew who she was. She had her friends trust, and that was enough for her to make it through tonight.

Or so she hoped.

The female stepped out of her room, glancing down the empty halls. Even from one floor above, she could hear the music that mingled with the chatter of people. She exhaled a slow sigh, making her way towards the elevator with only a little reluctance. She was nervous, and such a feeling wasn't something Andrea was used to.

Since when had she allowed other people's opinions about her to become so intimidating?

Andy furrowed her brow, struggling to gain her confidence. She wanted to be brave, but she was afraid that it would be misinterpreted. The female turned to close the elevators doors, but found herself pausing in surprise as she caught sight of Steve quickly jogging towards her.

"Hold the door!" He called out, hand raised as he came to a stop just at the entrance. Andrea held out her hand, allowing the doors to open and letting Steve in. "Thanks," he breathed, giving her a hesitant smile as he stood beside her. Andy nodded and reciprocated the gesture politely.

As the elevator fell into silence, she could feel the anxiety creep in. She wanted to say something, but couldn't seem to find the right words. But, she'd promised herself to start being better; a better teammate, a better Avenger, and more importantly, a better friend.