32) This Might Not Make Sense, If I Don't Explain It

En başından başla

"My father's not in the Secret Services." I stated firmly. The three sisters shook their heads slowly at me as if saying 'don't jump to conclusions' and Justin shot me a look that meant the same, so I shut my mouth again.

"As I was saying." Tom continued. "We found it and you were currently with us when we did. You were just born, he took you with him. He was a caring father and great person." His face turned sad and a little sympathetic. But I didn't get what he was talking about, then it hit me.

"My dad's alive." I said. "He's not caring as you say and not that great of a person, but he's perfectly fine." he lifted his head and then I could see it, right in his eyes, it was pure sadness and sympathy. My father was dead... that was the truth. But when, how? I left him a few hours ago... Right when I was breaking through realization, Tom sighed and spoke again, not giving me the time to deal.

"You lived here for the first year of your life." He said, and Alexa stepped to us.

"That's why you have those dreams, that's why you saw it every night and it haunted you. You have already been here, fourteen years ago. When your eidetic memory wasn't developed, but you do have flashes of this place in your mind because you lived here." she said.

In that moment, everything, or almost everything, fell into place. It made sense... the dreams were just a mix of flashbacks and just a little imagination.

"In fact." She spoke again, but I was still shocked by the news. She pointed to the house and I turned my head to it.

"That door was once painted of gold and it had a silver handle. You probably remember it, don't you?" she said. Golden door, silver handle. Golden door, silver handle...

Well damn.

"Back to the story." Tom snapped me out of my ponder, making me turn my attention to him again.

"After a little more than one year of your existence my wife and your parents were on the highway to buy something for you kids. Clothes, food and stuff, while I was left here to look after you all." His voice cracked a bit at the word 'wife', but he continued.

"They went through an accident and... didn't make it. I couldn't take care of you because I already had four kids and it was already hard to handle. So... after they all... passed away..." his voice cracked in the last part and I jolted a bit, swallowing hard. But thinking of it, did he mean that my dad and mom died fourteen years ago? So I had always lived with fake parents, or what? I was beyond confused, but I let him go on.

"We sent you to an orphanage where a couple adopted you. I know that life wasn't easy for you, but we couldn't really do otherwise. The houses here had been built by me and your father. Also, Abraham was your rabbit..."

"Sadly he passed away because rabbits live no more than seven years, and that's why we have Abraham Jr. It's not the same but..." Alexa added, with a small, comforting smile. I didn't realize there were tears in my eyes until I unconsciously reached my hand up to wipe them off my eyes.

"It's... it's okay..." I choked out.

I didn't know how to react, I didn't know what to do. I didn't even know how I was feeling, sad maybe? I don't know why though. It's not like I knew my real parents but... It's not like I couldn't care either. Now I understand why I never fit in my family. Now I have a clear view on why they treated me like I never really mattered. They shouldn't have adopted me... you don't get a child if you're not willing to be a responsible parent when it comes to understanding your child's needs. And you don't toss your child away like a piece of trash when you start thinking there's something wrong with them.

I looked down and sniffled, when Alexa came beside me and placed one hand on my shoulder sympathetically. Before I knew what I was doing, I pulled her in a hug and she wasted no time in wrapping her arms around me, letting me sob into her shoulder.

I had been living a lie... Yet it was for my sake. Processing all of this is harder than it seems.

"I'm so sorry." Alexa whispered. I just nodded and stayed silent. Everyone was silent, you could hear the leaves fall from the wind.

After a few minutes, when I had cooled down a little, I understood I was supposed to say something.

"Why isn't this place on the maps? And why doesn't anyone else live here?" I asked.

"We are allowed because I and your dad found it. And no one else is because the government realized this could be a kind of... shield. If anything happened in the States, they could escape here and wouldn't be found almost for certain. This was born to be a secret place." Tom said.

"Also, men would ruin it if they're not able to take care of it." Angela commented.

"Beautiful wildlife such like this would be destroyed in the blink of an eye by a bunch of assholes..." Sam murmured. I smirked and nodded in agreement.

I was glad that no one else was here, it was so peaceful and amazing.

"Wait, how are we gonna survive?" I asked and Alexa grinned.

"Dad will go in town to get us what we need, once in a while. But we'll mostly live by nature. It offers food and water. Also, you're vegetarian, so it'll be even easier for you to get used to the diet." How did she know that I'm vegetarian?

"I've got my sourches." She said, noticing my confused gaze. I nodded and kept glancing around.

"Wow." I breathed out. There were doves flying in group right above the sea, so harmoniously. Everything here gave me a sense of calm.

"Let's go, we'll show you guys around." Tom said and everyone followed, except me and Alexa who stayed behind.

"Can I ask you something?" I spoke, looking up at her. She never dropped her smile, she looked truly content here.

"Sure, anything."

"Why did you wait so long to come pick me up? Why couldn't you just... carry me here?" And that's when her grin fell as she let out a soft sigh.

"I wanted to. But... like my father said, he couldn't take care of five kids. Now that you're grown up it's easier." I nodded slowly.

"Well... I'm glad you did, eventually." I said with a smile, to which her face lit up. We caught up to the others to see the gorgeous heaven this island was.

"I want you to see something." She whispered to me, nudging my shoulder, so I followed her.

I'm guessing Alexa always knows what she's doing, unlike me. I'm always uncertain of my actions because everything around me seems so confused, it makes me feel a little lost, but I think I kind of know where I am now. Well, not exactly yet, but at least I know that my tracks were right.

This is not just all in your head.

--

A/N: Hey peeps! We're coming to an end it seems. There are other two chapters left and the epilogue. Hope I'm not messing this up.

Thanks for reading anyway <3