28) Up Against The Ghosts In My Head

We were all sitting at our desks, the people in the back talking, the others playing with their phone or interacting with each other telling some lame joke, etc. I tried to not think about the fact that this was the last day I had before something happened to me, but the thought kept popping in my head. At least I could distract myself drawing.

I was currently sketching a weeping willow on my notebook, until Mr. Bouvier cleared his throat getting the whole class' attention.

I looked up ahead of me to see him standing in front of his desk. My mouth shot open and my eyes widened as I saw the girl standing next to him, looking quite confident. It wasn't... it couldn't be...

"Class, this is History, not Chitchat!" he exclaimed, causing everyone to turn to him and shut up for good.

"Better. Now, welcome to our new student! Would you like to introduce yourself?" he said, turning to the very familiar looking girl in the last part. She had straight, long, dark brown hair falling below her shoulders and piercing blue greenish eyes. I knew those eyes.

"Um sure. I'm Alexa and I just moved here from Denver, Colorado." The girl said, forcing a smile.

Alexa. Her name was Alexa. But... it couldn't be that Alexa. Perhaps I was still dreaming?

No. This Alexa had a nose ring. This Alexa was tanner than my Alexa. This Alexa looked so mature, my Alexa never looked like this.

Despite that, I would've sworn they were the same person. And well, they were aspects that could've easily changed in years... but I wasn't ready for whatever was going on.

Now I was starting to consider that maybe I was seriously going crazy. Let's just say it, although I was used to seeing weird things, this was too much even for me.

"Alright, Alexa, welcome to our school. You're an Eagle now!" Mr. Bouvier cooed with a grin, referring to the mascot of our school.

"Please take a seat where you prefer, so the lesson can begin." He added politely. She gave one firm nod and looked for a seat. It seemed as though she was pretending an actual research, she already knew where she was going to sit.

I was a little surprised when she walked towards my desk and placed her backpack on the floor, sitting right next to me.

"Hey." She greeted, with a small smile.

"Um... hey..." I saluted awkwardly. I didn't exactly know what to say, though I had currently a lot of questions breaking through the confusion in my mind. I just stared at her, analyzing her face.

She let out a nervous laugh, which made me glance away.

"Is that how you greet all the newbies?" she said, with a smirk.

"I'm Alexa." She introduced, holding out her hand, which I shook.

"Lynn." I replied. The hand... holding her hand I could feel the same warmth I remember since when I was little. Like when she leaded me into the field, it was the same warmth, the same emotion.

"Do I know you?" I asked baldly. She pressed her lips together. I spoke again before she could respond.

"Nevermind. You're from Colorado, aren't you? That was a stupid question, sorry." I tried to set my concentration on the lesson, but she kept glancing at me all the time, as the teacher spoke.

"Is something up...?" I asked quietly, trying to shake off the tension. That's when she looked away.

"Kind of. I'd like to talk with you, later." She whispered back, readjusting her position on her seat. Then she leaned closer to me, I could feel her breath on my ear.

"After all, we're childhood friends." She added through a whisper, leaning back and flashing me a smile.

I needed time to register what she said, but I was sure of what I heard.

'After all, we're childhood friends'

Childhood friends.

This is not just all in your head.

---

A/N: Early update! Sorry if it's short, next chapter will be longer!

By the wayyy today I've finally finished writing this book completely yay. And finally, thank you SO MUCH for the 5k reads, you guys are amazing ily. Let me know your opinions on the chapter/book! x