Prologue

Lacey's POV*

Hi. My name is Lacey Brown. I'm 8 years old and me and my family are moving to L.A. from our home in Atlanta. My father just got a new job as a doctor here. We're middle class and decided to buy an apartment instead of a house to save money. It's the best decision we've ever made.

"Lacey. Wake up honey were here," said my mother slowly shaking my shoulder.

I sat up in the backseat of our car beside my younger brother, Jake, who was 6 and looked outside. We were at a tall building. This must be the apartment we were moving into. I opened the door and stepped outside. I turned and helped my parents unpack with whatever my small, eight year old hands could carry.

We went straight to the fourth floor and walked towards the apartment number 431.

"Well. Welcome home, I guess," my father told us.

"Don't be silly, John. The 'I guess' was not necessary," my mother laughed while carrying Jake's sleeping figure.

They chuckled while I stood there not understanding what they were talking about when the door to number 432 opened and out came a handsome man and a beautiful lady.

"Hello. My name is Carter Robinson and this is my wife Lucy. You must me new here. Welcome," the man whose name was apparently Carter said. He shook hands with my father.

"Hi there. I'm John Brown and this is Miranda. This is my daughter Lacey, and my son Jake," my father said.

Carter shook hands with my mon while dad shook Lucy's. Afterwards, my mom hugged Lucy. The couple both smiled at me and I smiled back.

"Would you like to have dinner with us tonight? We would like the company," Lucy said with a smile.

"That would be nice," my mom said.

"Great! Say around 7 pm?"

"Sure. Well we'll start unpacking now. We'll see you tonight. And thank you for being nice. We thought L.A. was full of snobs to be honest," said my dad with an embarrassed smile.

"Actually, L.A. IS full of snobs. But we're not one of them," Carter said with a smile. The adults laughed while I still stood there. We waved goodbye at them and started unpacking.

By 6 o'clock, we were finished and we started to get ready for dinner. I wore a light blue dress that fell to my knees and a matching headband while my long blonde hair fell at my waist.

By 7 we walked next door and was greeted by the nice couple again. We walked to the living room and the adults talked. I wasn't listening because everything was boring.

"Mom. Tie this for me please,"

"Sure, sweetie," Lucy said and stood up and walked to the door of one of the rooms in here.

I turned to who the unfamiliar voice came from and saw a boy about my age wearing a coat and an untied tie. He had brown hair and green eyes. Once Lucy finished tying his tie, she walked back to us with the boy following close behind.

"John, Miranda, Lacey, this is my son Tyler."

7 years later

My door opened and closed, instantly waking me up and I saw Tyler in my room kneeling in front of my face. I groaned and turned around.

"Hey. Hey. Hey. Wake up. Wake up. Wake up. Lacey. Lacey. Lacey," he continued to chant as he poked my back with every word. Before I knew it, he was jumping on my bed and shouting. "Don't ignore me! Wake up, lazy head! We have schooooool!"

I had it. While he was jumping on my bed, I lay flat on my back and kicked his "jewels."

"Umph!!!" Tyler fell off the bed clutching it, gasping for air.