When You Lay So Close To My Heart

I ran through the house, getting to the top of the tiled stair case. "Mom!" I screamed praying she was home. "Mom!" I screamed, turning into cry. "Mom!" I slid down the wall crying. 

She wasn't home, but thats what I expected. I put my head in my arms for a couple of seconds, before getting up. 

I went into my room, and opened the window thar led to the roof. Max and I used to lay up here and count the stars, but instead of being up there with Max, I was alone. 

So alone. 

Before I felt weightless. Everything was going good for once, now the weight of the world is on my shoulders. I dont even know why im so stressed. "Can I come up?" I heard from the window. The kind voice startled me. I looked over and saw Austin. I looked back up at the sky. "I dont know, can you?" He sighed, then slipped out the window. "Did you leave them at the party?" I asked, not looking at him. "They're on the couch, passed out." I let out a loud sigh. 

 "I dont want you up here." I said. "I know. But you need someone."  

"Someone who isnt you." I said. He sighed. "Abigail, im trying to help." He said. "I cheated on Shay with you Austin. Whatever happened to you and Gielle? I mean, you even have a girlfriend and you had sex with me." I sat up, raising my voice. "The situation with me and Gielle doesn't matter right now, this is about you and me! We aren't on the best terms right now. I just- Ugh!" He said, standing up and harshly putting his hands in his hair. 

I stood up as well, but i went inside. "Dont follow me." I said from my bedroom door. 

I walked down the stairs fast, hearing the drunken snores from Shay and Melanie.I walked out the front door, and walked to the pier that Max and I used to go to. 

~

I stood watching the boats float up and down, my nose and cheeks feeling the frost of the Seattle night from my tears and the cold air.  "Hey baby." I heard behind me. I turned around and saw about 4 guys. Most were in leather jackets, kinda like greasers from the 60s. They looked like they were 19 or 20. A couple were smoking. "Can you spare a smoke?" I asked, trying to not freak out. 

A blonde nodded then handed me a cigarette. I put it between my cold lips and he lit it. I blew some smoke out, then took another hit. "Wanna come home with me tonight baby." One whispered in my ear, wrapping his hand on my hip. I blew smoke out of my mouth. "My boyfriend wouldn't like that." I said. 

He wiped the wetness from my tears from under my eye. "I'll bet you, thats why you were crying." 

His voice was deeper than Shay's and raspy. He put his lips close to my ear. "I'll do things to you that he cant do." 

I was honestly scared to death. "Dont touch me." I said with a shakey voice. "What if do?" He asked, his finger tips creeping up the bottom of my shorts. "Cmon man lets go." A guy said. I felt a tear fall from my eye. "You know what they do to rapists in prison?" I asked clinching my fists. "Hm." He moaned kissing my neck. I put my cigarette on his hand, seeing his flesh burning, and then pushed through the guys, running as fast as I could. I heard them running after me. I wiped the tears from under my eyes, crying really hard. I took a sharp turn down a long alley. "Fuck!" I yelled hitting the brick wall. The one that was talking in my ear, ran right to me, and pinned my arms on the wall. "No, please." I cried even harder.  He slapped me. "Shut up." I examined his features with blurred vision. He had dark hair, and dark eyes. He had a jokerish smile, and tan skin. 

"Danny stop!" One yelled. He put a blade to my neck, and started to unbutton my shorts. I grabbed onto the sleeves of his leather jacket. "Close your eyes, it will only hurt for a second." He laughed evily.  The one who was yelling at him, pushed him out of the way. I looked at him dumb founded. "Go!" he yelled. I ran fast, not looking back until I got home. I bursted into the front door sobbing. 

The sun was coming up and I hadn't slept. I heard rustling on the couch. I tried making my sobs quieter. My shorts were still unbuttoned, but I didnt care. I couldn't breath. 

I almost got raped.

"Abby?" I heard Austin's tired voice. 

"Im sorry." I cried, as I saw him get up from the couch. "Im sorry Austin. Im sorry for everything." 

"What happened why are you shorts undone?" He asked. "Im sorry." I cried. "C'mere." He said picking me up to my feet. He hugged me tightly. "You need to go to sleep." He said examining my eyes. He guided me to my room, which was occupied by Melanie curled up in a ball. "She didnt look comfortable on the couch." Austin shrugged.

"Im used to sharing a bed with her." I said walking to her. I scooted her over. "Dont look." I said. Austin turned around and I took my shorts and flannal shirt off just to sleep in my white tank top and my floral underwear. Austin turned out the light.

"Goodnight Abby.." 

Shirtless guy is Abby's rapist.