1. Not Just A Facade...

Okay quick authors note from me...
I understand that some characters are dead, and others are traitors, but I'm bringing them back.
After all, this is called a FANFICTION. I hope you enjoy it!
~ Bella

Disclaimer:

I do not take ownership of the Skulduggery Pleasant series, as I am not the Golden God Derek Landy. All the characters (except for a few) belong to Derek Landy. However, the plot is mine, and if anybody copies my plot, I shall demand that it be removed immediately. Inspiration is one thing, copying is another.

~~~~~~~~~

"Hey, you have a good life, Danny, you hear me?"

"Same to you Valkyrie." He gives her a little wave, feels the twinge in his injured shoulder, and winces. "What'll I tell people about this?"

"They won't believe you anyway," says Valkyrie, "so tell them the truth."

Now it's his turn to raise an eyebrow.

"What, tell them about sorcerers and lunatics and kidnapping and murder?"

"Naw," she says. "Tell them the real truth. Tell them about what's really important."

"And what, if you don't mind me asking, is really important?"

Valkyrie holds her hand palm upwards, and it starts to glow from within. She smiles at him.

"Magic," she says.

***

Valkyrie sat up in bed, stretching. She was glad to be home, very glad actually. A lot of things were different though. Alice was older, and Valkyrie not being there to see her grow up felt strange. It felt strange to be home, and even stranger to be working with Skulduggery again.

There was something else that felt strange too. Something that she hadn't felt towards her partner before. She couldn't quite put her finger on it.

Valkyrie climbed out of bed with unusual grace, and changed into her black clothes, surprised that they still fit her after five years. Then she went downstairs, eager to see her parents and little sister. Her mother was sitting at the table, drinking coffee and her dad was reading the newspaper.

"Morning!" She said cheerfully.

"Good morning sleepyhead!" Melissa Edgley greeted.

"Morning Val." Her dad said.

Valkyrie grinned. Since she had gotten back, her parents had been really supportive, and they were even calling her Valkyrie now, not Stephanie.

"Where's Alice?" She asked.

"In the lounge room," her mum answered.

Valkyrie left them and found Alice watching cartoons in the living room. She recognised that tune. SpongeBob SquarePants was on. Alice looked up when she saw Valkyrie come in.

"Val!" She cried, jumping off the couch and bounding over. Valkyrie picked her up and kissed her forehead. Since Valkyrie had gotten back and explained everything to the little girl, Alice had been clinging to her like she would lose her again if she didn't.

"Hey Alice!"

"Come watch TV with me!" Alice ordered, wriggling and squirming in Valkyrie's grip. Valkyrie set her back down on the floor.