~Prologue~

Aaliyah

I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock beeping loudly in my ear. I looked over and pushed the snooze button and saw that it was 5:30 a.m.  I looked back over toward the right of me and seen my 5 year old little sister, Kayla, laying next to me still asleep. I decided to get myself ready and wake her up later.  It's my job to get us both to school on time.

I walked into the bathroom and jumped into the shower. I felt suddenly relaxed as I felt the warmness of the water on my skin. I spent 15 minutes in the shower and then got out. I did my hygiene thing and then went to my closet to pick out my clothes.

After I got dressed, I woke up Kayla so she could get ready for school. I put her in the tub and washed her up. I helped her do her hygiene thing, got her dressed, and I did her hair. I looked the time and it was 7:15. It was still early but I decided that we would leave the house to go get breakfast. I picked up my backpack and Kayla's bag and unlocked my room door. I know your wondering why I have my door locked, but it's because I don't want one of the many men my mom has coming in and out of the house to stumble across my bedroom.

I walked pass my mothers door and tried to walk as fast as I could to the front door. There were noises coming from behind that door that I didn't want a 5 year old to hear. My mom does this a lot. She does it to get what she want and that's drugs that ruined her life. Our mother wasn't always like this. She used to be a loving woman that I used to look up to. It all started when she found out that our father was diagnosed with cancer. It just got worse when he died.

That's when I started to become less of a sister ,to more like a mother to Kayla. I was the only one she had and the only one to actually care for her.

I walked out the house and to my BMW car that my father said I could have when I turned 16. That was 2 years ago.

"Kay, where do you want to go for breakfast?" I asked her.

"Umm, Denny's !" She said cutely.

That was her favorite place to go only because dad used to take her before he passed.

-

We Pulled up to Denny's and got out of the car. We went in and got seated right away since it was so early. Kayla got smiley face pancakes with bacon and eggs and orange juice. I pretty much got the same.

We finished eating and I looked down at my watch. It was 8:00. I had to be at school at 8:45 and Kayla had to be at pre-school by 8:30.

I dropped Kayla off at school and kissed her on her cheek good-bye. I then made my way toward my school and found a parking space. I didn't really have friends because the girls here are just full of drama and that's not what I want right now. The boys here only want one thing and that's sex. They've tried with me before but would I let them. Nope. I really can't trust anyone here. 

The day moved on rather slowly and I just wanted to leave. I was happy when the last bell rang signaling that school was over.

I went to the parking lot and hopped into my car. I then drove to Kayla's school and got her. She was what made me happy right now. We went to McDonalds and then went straight home. I really didn't like taking Kayla to the house where our mother does her dirty work but I had no choice since I didn't have no where else to go.

I made it home and me and Kayla then we went straight to my room. I locked the door and put us both on comfortable clothes. We just sat there and ate while watching tv.

This is how it was for us everyday.