Chapter Twelve- Second Try, First Sign

The slaves of Equestria weren't very pleased that Luna was there for the night, with her being the accidental reason for their increased workload. Yet most forgave her quickly. After all, she had only been trying to help. Though others liked to cling to Luna's royal past, these ponies reached even farther back, to Faust, who had been one of their own. The day after Luna's arrival and failed attempt to free the slaves, she woke early and prepared to go back to Cadence. This time would be different. During the night, Luna had a dream. God told her to meet Cadence by the river. There, she must perform a sign, using her staff. However, Luna didn't know what exactly the sign would be. Art and Celestia went with Luna to the blue waters that had brought her to safety all those years ago. Cadence was swimming in the water, an unfamiliar filly by her side. Yet, she was familiar. The gray eyes were not known, nor the green stripe in the filly's mane and tail. But the pale pink coat, the yellow and purple in her mane, that was recognizable. There was no doubt that the filly was Cadence's. However, Luna could not distract herself with mother and daughter playing. She called out to Cadence. "Cadence! God says "Let my ponies go!" Cadence was alarmed to see Luna, the hatred from the day before slipping back into her face as she told her filly to get to the boat nearby. Then with a defiant toss of her mane, Cadence shouted back. "Never!" Luna had guessed that she would say that. She took a deep breath and shouted again: "Then behold the power of God!" She touched the staff she held to the edge of the river. At once, a cloud of red spread from the staff into the river. It turned the water red. It wasn't stopping. Cadence's face registered horror at the word uttered by Aloe and Vera: "Blood." Luna looked down at the river. The main source of water for the city had been turned to blood. And according to the disgusted tossing of drinks from the boat, so had all the water. "So much for their river god." Cadence was on the boat now, her pink coat narrowly escaping from the river of blood. She turned in anger at Luna: "My magicians can do the same! Your "god" shall not make me free your ponies!" Aloe and Vera stepped forward, making a big show of turning some light-colored juice red. The ponies onboard the boat clapped and laughed at Luna. But Luna had seen Vera take something from the headband she wore. Something red. Probably a dye.
"Abandon this futile mission, Luna. I've indulged you long enough. This must now be finished." Luna shook her head firmly. "No, Cadence. It is only beginning." A slave filly neatby looked incredulously at Luna. "But Luna, d-didn't you see what happened?. The priests did the same thing. Cadence still has the power over our lives!" Luna nodded calmly at the scared pony. "Yes, Papyrus, it's true. Cadence has the power. She can take away your food, your home, your freedom. He can take away your sons and daughters. With one word, Cadence can take away your very lives. But there is one thing he cannot take away from you: your faith. Believe, for we will see God's wonders." Papyrus seemed satisfied. Luna turned and left. Tomorrow she would try again.