My Fishy Boyfriend 7

Start from the beginning

I chuckled and looked down to my sketch book, a complete Clae was in front of me, eyes and all. I hadn't realized Clae was sitting so close to me until my knee got unexpectedly warm. Our knees brushed each others and I could feel my face heat. I turned away but he caught my face gently and trailed my jaw with his fingers. Clae started leaning in and I could tell, I instinctively did too. I could feel his ragged breath as our lips drew closer together. I slid my eyes shut as soon as our lips came together. Clae had a salty taste that I craved every time I got out of the ocean. I deepened the kiss as I brought my hands to his neck and hair. He grasped the middle of my back pulling me in. I slowly pulled away and opened my eyes.

 I peered at him in bewilderment. What? Why?

He gazed back completely disheveled, with hair sticking up on all sides. Clae looked absolutely unfazed as we looked at each other, but he still beamed with a unnatural gusto.

I giggled at his hair and bit my lip to force it back. Absentmindedly, I reached up to flatten his hair. He grasped my hand and pressed it lightly to his cheek. I blinked voluntarily as he gently closed his eyes.

"Melodi." he moaned. I furrowed my eyebrows, Clae sounded weak.

"Clae... Why?" I pleaded strongly.

"I'm sorry. I-... I shouldn't have done that." he tripped over his words worse than a newborn filly.

"No. It felt..." Clae cut me off, hoping to finish what I was going to say.

"Right?"

I nodded sincerely at his choice of word.

"It's the connection between merpeople, it's especially strong if neither has kissed a mermaid." he said, embarrassed and slightly regretful.

I dropped my hand onto my sketch book and tore out the Clae drawing. I realized then that Clae was very different than the Clae that I had just drawn. I handed my drawing to him and he nodded his own form of thanks. I stood up and headed for the cave opening but I turned back before I left through the bright mouth of the cavern.

I shut my eyes and exhaled, "Don't break my heart."

And with that I meandered out leaving Clae and what had just convulsed behind. As I strolled, the summer sun baked my skin. I winced and sheilded my eyes with my hand. I scanned the full beach and stepped off the burning boulder into the equally as hot sand.

Kids were screaming happily and playing tag with the ocean. I thought back to what my father always told me if we visited the ocean. Which, wasn't very often, but I still remember clearly.

"Never turn your back on the ocean," he would seeth at me.

I would only nod, frightened of what he might do if I spoke. I shivered at the undimmed memory and continued on.

I dodged a couple of beach balls and Frisbees effortlessly. Once I found a reasonable space I plopped myself down and seized the tropic sand.

I thought over everything that had happened over the last few days. I came up more questions than answers. I huffed and groaned in frustration as I sat in the sand trying to figure out all of life's complicated problems.

A lone volleyball rolled towards my feet and I looked up at its owner.

"Melodi?" A familiar female voice questioned.

My eyes widened when I noticed Clara standing over me. Grover's sister squealed as I stood and she wrapped her arms around my shoulders.

"Clara, your choking the life out of me!" I managed to say.