Chapter 1

Chapter One

Daisies. Tons of wild flowers, mostly which were daisies, filled the meadow. They seemed to part with the wind as the brunette beauty raced after her best friend, Kane. They were escaping the evil queen as they reenacted scenes from "Alice in Wonderland." Lena had chose to read it to them during their picnic. Lena had been paid by Colbie's very influential father to babysit for the girl since she was old enough to walk. Soon would be coming to an end since, Colbie was nearly twelve now, but they enjoyed the time they had.

"K!" she cried as slowly she fell behind.

Kane stopped for the quickest of seconds before whipping around and racing to save her.

"I will have her!" Lena laughed with her evillest tone she could muster.

"No! She's mine!" Kane called out defiantly. He reached Colbie just seconds after gripping her beneath her shoulder and around her stomach and pulling her away.

They were racing back to the Castle in the Shadows. Soon play time would be over and Colbie's parents would want her to go in for the night.

The castle was more like Kane and Lena's home. A massive three story granite chateau. Stone archways lead to a garden courtyard filled with the most rarest and beautiful flowers known to man.

"Sorry kiddos time to go in for dinner..."

"Uhhhg Lena." the two whined. They enjoyed every moment together it was more than evident.

"Maybe another day. Sorry buddies."

They both whined and stomped their way inside.

The large wooden doors have way too a massive entry way where as usual Colbie's mother stood looking more annoyed than ever as she disapproved of her daughter's muddy clothing and her husband's choice in babysitters.

"I'm sorry Miss O'Malley. I can get Colbie cleaned up for you. "

Miss O'Malley shook her head firmly as she glared.

She grasped Colbie's arm and dragged her out to get waiting driver.

That was the last Kane had saw his best friend. Rumor had it Colbie's mother had inherited some money from her now passed father and packed up Kane's life and ripped Colbie away.

Lena had tried desperately to console Kane but nothing worked. Their parents were not the greatest at the help. Their mother, "first love's will aways be remembered but don't often stay." Their father, "grow up boy. She's just a girl."

She wasn't just a girl...

Weeks went by and even months, Kane still wasn't the same fun-loving boy he had once been. He seemed to loose something and Lena could see it. The light in his eyes, Colbie, was missing. She had urged her mother to try and find Colbie's mother but she refused. Grumbling something about "Understanding."

Finally season's passed and years dragged by, Kane's birthday neared, Lena and her mother set up a birthday party for him. He was getting older now and really didn't want a party. He hadn't wanted one the year Colbie had been taken away from him. He didn't want one the year after when his feelings had made him realize it was love not just friendship the two had shared. And he definently didn't want a birthday party today, when he had come to the realization that nearly two years later Colbie was never going to come back to visit her father. "Oh my gosh mom," Kane groaned. "Did Lena put you up to this?" He flicked the frilly tinsel and balloons that surrounded their lavish back yard.

"I did." Lena beamed as she strode from the house with a bowl of punch. "I had Shane invite some kids from school too!"

"Oh... my... god!" Kane growled. His temper had begun to grow over the months and his tolerance for his sister's meddling was reaching it's limits.

"Maybe he invited some girls," their mother cooed.

Lena giggled. Kane glared at the two obnoxious women and took off toward his bedroom. What would he do with them?

In his room Kane sat down on the black leather couch near the fireplace. Yes he had a fireplace. His room was by far one of the smallest bedrooms in the chateau but it was just as luxurious as any of the others. With the newest remodel his parents had set to restore the home to it's former glory.

They had still kept modern colors and modern amenities such as Kane's royal blue colors and his black leather couch but they had also included all new period style wooden doors for the entire chateau along with stone flooring.

Leaning back he turned his music up, louder and louder. Trying to drown out the sounds of his broken brain. Why couldn't he just simply let Colbie go? She was a great friend. Beautiful girl. Oh how he loved her.

He sighed.

When he heard pounding and screaming on his bedroom door he cranked the music louder. He had one hour to break his ear drums until he had to be available for the party. He closed his eyes and tried to sleep. Repeat tried.

"That boy!" his father screamed as he tossed the nearest thing, a ceramic coffee mug. As it shattered against the wall, the music stopped. "Thank the heavens!"

It restarted as Kane switched to a different song, and their father screamed again. "Shane! Go turn his radio down!"

Shane shrugged, leaving the kitchen. "Shane!?" Their mother called after her older son. "Let him have the music til it's time."

"Mom, the guest will be here soon." Shane reminded her as he continued on. He made his way up the staircase. His brother was definitely broken brained. But Shane had the perfect plan. He had invited some of the most beautiful girls he could find in any age around Kane. He had also set up a few private locations where those girls could tear Kane off too.

Shane reached Kane's door and groaned as the music blared through the walls. He never seemed to understand what had made Kane the rebellious type but either way... he turned the handle and nothing. The door was locked but luckily he knew the secret. A secret that the siblings never shared with their parents. He reached for the closest candle holder on the wall. Now currently a decoration, it still held the secret skeleton key to Kane's room. Each room had one and thankfully their parents kept the old locks.

He unlocked the door and pushed it open cringing as the music pounded at his temples.

Without a word, he walked over to the radio and shut off Kane's music. "Hey!" Kane yelled as he strode from the bathroom, dripping from his shower.

"I'm so glad you decided to take a shower before your party but the music's gotta go. Company will be here any moment." He tilted his head a bit and took in the clothing Kane was changing into. "Those are good jeans. Don't think the shirt's good though." Shane stepped into Kane's closet and grabbed a new one, "here... wear this."

Kane eyed his brother. Shrugged. Then pulled the shirt on.

Stepping toward him, Shane looped his arm around Kane's shoulder, he knew what to do. "Come on," he said. Shane was only a little older than Kane but he had everything figured out. He was a star football player in school. But that was one of the biggest ruses anyone had ever pulled.

Shane... Shane was also the biggest player, getting with a different girl every night. He had laid with nearly every girl in his grade. But more impressive... Shane was also true to his family heritage. He was special.