CHAPTER 9 The Hamptons

The next morning I did not go to work. I hoped Lanie would not tell Ryan or Esposito because then the whole precinct would know within a hour.
I got up really early and drove to the Hamptons. Yesterday I had driven to Joeys to talk to her but she was not there. Her flatmate had told me she had gone to the Hamptons for a few days.
Suddently my phone rang. I looked at the number. It was Esposito. I did not want to talk to him but I picked up anyway:'Beckett.' I said trying not to sound suspicious. 'Yo Beckett what up?', he asked. 'Nothing...?!', I said. 'Sure? Your not at work, not at home and you and Lanie had a talk last night.' 'Uhm...Yeah I am fine', I said a little annoyed. 'Well if you are that sure...Bye!', he said and hung up. Awkward.
Someone started honking. It took a few seconds until I noticed that he was honking at me because the light had turned green. I drove until I reached the house at the address Christina had gave me. It was a small white house with a blue roof and blue shutters. I got out of the car and went up the small stairs to the blue door. I just wanted to ring the doorbell as I saw a little note stuck on there. It said: Please knock.  I knocked three times until I heard the key turn in the lock. Joey opend the door and looked at me surprised. 'Kate?! What are you doing here? And how do you know where I was?', she said. 'I need to talk to you. Can I come in?', I asked her. She looked at me puzzled but opend the door and lead me to the living room. The house was really nice from the inside but everything had already been packed up in boxes. A few boxes had been opened again and there were stuff taken out. 'Can I bring you something to drink? ', Joey asked me but I said no. I wanted to get this over with now. She was my daughter and she had the right to know that. But she had to decide whether she would accept me as her mother or not. Then I saw a opend letter on the table. Joey seemed to have noticed where I was looking because she said:' A letter from Yale. They accpted me. I will start next semester. ' She would be going to Yale in a few months. Was it even worth telling her? Would that change anything? 'Kate what is it? You know you can not hide from my instincts very long.', Joey said and looked at me.