"Are you still with Margaret?"

"Of course."

"Of course." I rolled my eyes and shook my head. I walked over to the window and looked out at what was mine. "Of course you are." I whispered. "And you always will be." I turned to him. "Please get out of my life. I no sooner believe you love Charlie than I believe you love me."

He walked closer but stayed a reasonable distance, "Eve this is the last time I ask you to do the right thing by Charlie. My son Charlie."

I felt so much anger and disregard for him. "Well, that's a relief. Then this will be the last time I have to say no to you're ridiculous offer."

"That's the third time you've called me ridiculous Eve. Is that what you think? You're entitled to speak to me that way? You think I'm ridiculous?"

"I don't want you. Can't you understand that?"

At that he took a few steps and approached me. He stood very close to me. So much so that I was backed against the wall. I could smell his spicy scent and it was close enough to feel his breath on me. "Jeff. What are you doing?"

"I'm tired of it Eve."

I tried to move out of his reach, but at that he took me by the arms and held me, pushed me against the wall. He bent forward and kissed me. Not passionately but this other way that scared me. I kept trying to turn my face, but his body was crushing me. Finally, I pulled away enough to get some room in between us.

"Let go of me Jeff. " I struggled but he held me there against the wall. "Jeff why would you do this?" I tried to push my arms to make room between us. I was crying and his expression didn't change. It was the same one I had described to Carmen over a year ago. It was hatred.

Finally, I managed to get out of his reach. I ran upstairs and he followed. He didn't run. He just walked behind me. I went into my room, closed the door and grabbed the key from the jewelry box on the dresser. I tried to put the key into the lock. My hand was shaking so hard, I couldn't keep it still enough to fit it in the keyhole. I knew if I could get it locked he wouldn't be able to get in. If I couldn't get it locked, he would enter my room and take me against my will. My mind was racing. It was like a terrible dream where I couldn't believe what was happening. I finally got it into the hole, but just as I did, I heard the doorknob turn and I started crying. I tried to hold the door shut but it didn't take much for his strength to over power me.

"What are you going to do to me? Jeff, please don't. Please. Please."

"Go lay down on the bed Eve."

"I won't," I yelled. "I won't ever do what—"

I couldn't finish my sentence because his hands were on my shoulders again, this time squeezing hard. He pushed me backwards towards the bed; I lost my footing and fell to the floor. He pulled me up so violently by my arms that I let out a cry in pain. "You're hurting me."

I struggled to get free again, but once he had me standing, he pushed me hard on to the bed. As I tried to sit up, he pushed me down and got on top of me.

"Please Jeff. I'm sorry. Please don't." I kept struggling to get myself free from him. "I'm sorry I didn't read the letters. Let me make you some coffee and you can tell me what they said."

Still he didn't speak.

"Please Jeff" I was crying hysterically and struggling against him. He held me and pressed his body down on me harder. "Please say something to me."

"You're a whore." He whispered and at that, still holding me down with on arm over my chest almost across my neck, and with the weight of his body on me, his elbow pressing so hard on my upper arm it ached horribly. I realized that it was going to happen. That I couldn't stop him from forcing himself on me. "You're a whore," he said again. This time glaring at me.