Chapter 16 - A Big Problem

Start from the beginning

"A little beat up and bruised but we're good. Listen, we're gonna go back to the garage and scan Lily with Baymax for you." 

I freeze, "S-Scan Lily?"

"Yeah. I heard you yell her name so I assume that something's wrong. Is she okay?" 

"Y-Yeah. She's great." 

"Penguins are just birds with tuxedos!" 

I cringe at Lily's sudden outburst and I hope that Tadashi hadn't heard that.

"That doesn't sound fine. We'll be there in ten minutes."

"O-Okay." 

I put the headphones down and I nervously tug on my bangs. If they find out about this "animation plague", what's going to happen? Is everything going to be fine?

I glance at Lily who is focused on her breathing. I watch as her breaths become irregular. 

I close my eyes and lean back on the couch, ignoring the sudden cramp in my hip.

This isn't going to end well.

************

I watch anxiously as Baymax scans Lily, who is passed out on the couch. The medicine overdose probably sent her to sleep.

Baymax looks at me, "I must scan you."

My eyes land on Baymax, "Me? Why would you ne-"

"Scan complete." 

"You've got to be kidding me."

"You and Lily seem to share the same problem. I needed to scan both of you to make sure my calculations were correct."

I cross my arms, "And were they?"

"Yes. It seems that new cells are trying to form but are eating away your old cells. The cells are what you would call animation cells." 

I look at Baymax nervously as I feel everyone's stares on me, "A-Animation cells?"

"Yes. Since these cells are foreign to you, your body trys to reject and fight back. This is what caused Lily to constantly throw up." 

"Is there any cure?" 

"This is a strange case Ms. Martinez. Unfortunately, it's beyond my power. I'm terribly sorry."

I sigh, "It's okay Baymax."

Baymax gives my head a light pat and waddles away to attend to Lily the best he can.

I tug a bit of my hair in frustration as I feel the confused stares on me. I try to ignore them as I start to think of some kind of cure that can help Lily and I. 

"Animation cells?" 

I hesitantly look up to meet Honey Lemon's curious face.

"Y-Yeah. I'm turning into one of you, I guess." 

"How?" 

"I-I don't know."

"How do you not know what's happening to you?" 

I turn to Hiro, "Because I don't. You try being sick with something that you've never heard of." 

"Valerie," Wasabi starts to say, "I think what we all want to know is, why didn't you tell us?"

My eyes dart around the room nervously, meeting everyone's confused faces.

"Well, for one, you were busy with this. I couldn't take you guys away from all of this just to attend a small need."