[ Chapter 8 ]

A few days later, I sat in master's plushy chair casually flipping through the pages of a manga. I was in awe at how beautifully the characters were drawn out.

Setting the book down, I got up to look through my master's bookshelf for something a little more interesting.

Master still hadn't taught me much on how to read, which is why I usually stuck to the manga. They had lots of nice pictures to look at, and didn't require much reading to enjoy them.

I glanced over my shoulder, giving a little sigh as I saw master working at his computer again like always.

I wonder what he's writing about this time.

I debated whether it was worth bothering him for a little attention or not. Master could be cruel when he was disturbed while working. I learned that the hard way when I was still a little kitten.

He's never intentionally hurt me beyond reason, only enough to put me in my place. I honestly have to give him a round of applause for being able to keep his cool all those times I caused trouble in the past.

My ears twitched as I heard his cellphone start to buzz in his back pocket. With a hefty sigh, he pushed away from his desk and pulled out his phone.

"Hello? Oh, Ayako. What's up?" He seemed to light up a bit when he realized it was her.

I flattened my ears as something started to prick at me from the inside.

Why is he so happy to hear from her?

I let out a little hiss under my breath and walked out of the room, making it obvious that I was upset by slamming the door behind me.

Once on the other side of the door, I leaned against it and sank down to the floor. I hugged my knees to my chest and rested my forehead on my arms.

I sat like that for what seemed like ages but only turned out to be ten minutes.

I let out a yelp as the door opened behind me, and I started to fall backwards only to be stopped by my master's legs.

Eyes still wide with shock, I tilted my head up to look at him.

He gave a little chuckle and tweaked one of my ears before helping me up. I then remembered that I was supposed to be mad at him, so I made a pouting face and walked away without a single word.

Plopping on the couch, I turned on the television to some cartoons. I ignored him completely as he sat down beside me and wrapped an arm around my shoulder.

After watching cartoons for a while, he finally sighed, "How long are you going to be upset with me?"

I didn't respond.

"In fact, why are you mad at me?"

I simply glanced at him and turned my attention back to the TV.

He reached over me and grabbed the remote from the arm of the couch, turning the television off. Master then reached up and grabbed my cheeks and forced me to look at him, his face inches from mine.

"What the hell is your problem, cat?"

Anger shot through me. I bit my lip to keep myself from bursting and screaming my head off at him.

Cat? I'm not a cat anymore! I'm a human, just like him!

I jerked my face out of his hands and tried to stand up, but he grabbed my wrist and yanked me back down on the couch. Rolling over so I was underneath him, he pinned me down by my wrists.