[ Chapter 1 ]

Several feet away, a squirrel scurried around in search of food. It was so focused on the ground that it hadn't even noticed me closing in on it. I crept ever so slowly, trying my best to not make a single sound.

I've always been good with stealth, but with prey this juicy on the line, I couldn't afford taking a chance. As I got closer, the warm, luscious scent of the fat squirrel overwhelmed my senses. I could feel myself start to drool.

By now I was close enough to make my move. Crouching low and wiggling my butt, I prepared to pounce.

Just as I was about to leap, a loud clanging noise startled both the squirrel and I. The squirrel started to scurry away.

I launched myself at it, but I wasn't quick enough.

I watched as the plump prey pulled itself up the side of a nearby tree at an impressive speed.

Cursing under my breath, I looked around, trying to figure out where the sound had come from.

Suddenly, I heard a human's voice call my name. "Master? Is that you?" I called out, but there was no reply.

I began wandering around and found myself in a dark alley. Behind me, a low, deep growl eminated from the darkness.

Slowly turning around, I saw absolutely nothing in the shadows. Then two bright red eyes appeared, and my blood ran cold.

All of a sudden, dozens of huge white teeth came straight at me.

~•°•○•°•●•°•○•°•~

I lifted my head with a jerk, looking around frantically. After a moment, I realized I was back home in my master's house, curled up on his sofa.

Relaxing with a sigh, I laid my head down on my paws and watched the dust particles float around in the sunlight streaming through the windows of the backdoor.

"Hikari, time to eat," my master called. I stood and stretched each leg out before jumping off the sofa and trotting into the kitchen to greet my master with a meow.

He smiled and ran his hand down my back and up my tail. I lifted my butt up in the air and let out a happy purr.

After giving me a quick rub under the chin (my sweet spot), Master set down my already full bowl of food saying, "Dig in." I gladly did as I was told and started to munch on the food until I had eaten my fill.

Afterwards, my master went into his study to do some work on the computer. He was what they called a journalist. From my understanding, that means he writes stories about things that have happened in the town to keep other people up to date.

I don't know what he writes about though. Probably just human things. Anyways, it doesn't really matter. What matters is that master really enjoys doing his work. Happy master, happy cat. That's all there is to it.

I took a quick trip to the litter box to make some scat and then sauntered my way into the master's study. He was at his desk, typing away on the computer, most likely working on a new story.

I knew master would be upset with me if I disturbed him right now so I decided to jump up on his plushy chair where he liked to read books and made myself comfortable.

Once settled in, I watched master intently, purring. I loved to watch him work. I mean, I'd much rather he come over here and love on me, but this works too.

Master was a very tall, pale human with little to no fur on his body. I always thought it was odd, but I later learned that all humans are practically bald everywhere but their head.