[ Chapter 2 ]

I woke to the sound of master calling my name. I slowly stood up and stretched out my limbs, yawning and shaking my head.

I looked around. I was still by the shrine. I looked down to see that I still had my feline paws. I let out a sigh and jumped down from the porch of the shrine. As I stepped onto the side walk, I heard my master's voice.

"There you are. Hikari, what are you doing all the way over here?" Master gave me a stern look as he spoke, "I hope you weren't causing any trouble, little man. You were out here all night."

I let out a sleepy meow. Master's expression softened, and he picked me up. He cradled me on my back in his arms and rubbed my tummy as he carried me back to the house.

The nice old lady who lived next door to us happened to notice us walk by as she was watering her garden.

"I see you found our cute little Hikari," she smiled warmly.

Master replied, "Yes ma'am. I think he fell asleep near that shrine down the street."

"Ah, that's a little far for our little friend to wander. I wonder what he was up to."

"Beats me. Well, I have to go get ready for work. I'll talk to you later, Mrs. Okazaki."

"Alright, have a nice day, Yamato."

"Thanks, you too." Master waved goodbye and worked his way across our yard and through the door. He planted a tiny kiss on my forehead and set me down on the sofa.

"Alright, my little Hikari. I have to get ready to leave," master sighed before heading into his room to change into work clothes. I sat on the couch and waited for him to finish.

Once he was done getting ready, he refilled my food and water bowls and gave me a pat on the head before walking out the door.

I looked around the empty house, not sure what to do. It was always boring around the house when master was away. I decided to eat breakfast and take care of business in the litterbox.

I jumped back on the couch and gave myself a bath, and later decided to play with some toys. Before I knew it, it was late afternoon and master would be getting home soon.

I made myself comfortable on the back of the couch and waited for master. I ended up dozing off and taking a cat nap.

The sound of car doors woke me, and they were soon followed by the sound of a key in the door's lock. I got up and stretched, purring, happy that master was home. In came master through the door, followed by a woman I'd never seen before. My purr caught in my throat and I wasn't sure what to think.

She was noticeably shorter than master, and had a slight tan. Her long brown hair was full of beautiful waves, and her face was plastered in makeup. I had to admit, she was quite pretty for a human.

The woman's shirt was slightly unbuttoned to show her breasts and part of her black laced bra. I snorted in disgust. I wonder if this is that woman his mum was talking about earlier. Not very impressive if you ask me.

They had both obviously been drinking that weird smelling liquid that always made master act weird. I could tell by the awful smell radiating from them. They both stumbled through the living room past the couch.

I meowed a hello to my master, but he was too focused on the woman to notice me. I gave a huff of frustration as the two humans latched onto each other and went into master's room. I jumped off the back of the sofa to follow.

When I got in the room, I saw master laying on top of the woman who was sprawled out on his bed. Their faces were smashed together, and master's hands had found their way inside the woman's shirt.

Jealousy made my blood boil, and I couldn't help but let out a yowl. I mostly did it in frustration, but part of me also hoped it would distract master enough to ruin the mood. I didn't want him doing such things to anyone else. I wanted to be the only one that master shared his affections with!

I continued to yowl until they separated their faces and looked at me. The fur along my back was all puffed out, and my tail stood straight in the air.

The woman gave a disgusted look and said, "Get that nasty thing out of here. It's going to ruin our night."

Master nodded and got up. I was utterly offended that he hadn't even tried to defend me. I was neither 'nasty' nor a 'thing!' My master picked me up by the scruff of my neck, and anger shot trough me.

I lashed out with my claws in frustration, and unintentionally raked them down master's forearm.

He cursed under his breath and threw me in the bathroom. I landed on the floor with a thud, and when I tried to run out of the room, he slammed the door right in my face.

I took a step back and listened to the sounds outside the room. Down the hall I could hear that awful woman giggling and master's gentle voice. The next hour lead to lots of noises that I tried to block out.

As I sat there in the bathroom, I eventually fell into a fitful sleep.

~•°•○•°•●•°•○•°•~

I woke the next morning still in the bathroom. I did my usual stretch routine and scampered out the bathroom door. The house was quiet so I figured master was still asleep. Well, better go wake him up.

I worked my way into his room and jumped up on his bed. I let out a little squeak when I found flesh under the blanket where it should've been empty. A loud hiss escaped my lips when I saw the strange woman sleeping in the bed.

Memories of last night came flooding back. I looked over, but master wasn't in his usual spot.

Out of nowhere, I heard master yawn behind me. It made me jump, and I let out a hiss and moaned with irritation. Master gave me a little pop on the head and a stern look.

I jumped off the bed and ran into the living room. I looked back towards the bedroom to see him standing in the bedroom doorway watching me. He shook his head and went back into his room. I lashed my tail angrily and ran outside through my kitty door.

I instantly made a mad dash down the side walk to the shrine I'd seen the day before. When I found it again, I leapt onto the porch, and began to pray as hard as I could.

I begged the gods to make me human so that I could spend my life with my master and tell him that I loved him. I cried out in anger, frustration, and sadness. I needed to become human or I would lose him to that awful woman.

Eventually I tired myself out and fell asleep. When I awoke, I was sad to see that I was still a cat.

I slowly made my way off the porch and down the side walk, dragging my tail behind me.

As I got to the edge of our yard, I noticed Nashi sitting on her fence post. I tried to get by without her noticing me, but I wasn't fast enough.

"Hey there, Hikari! What you up to?"

I glanced up to see her leaning over the edge of the fence, looking down at me. "Just heading home for breakfast," I mumbled.

She tipped her head to the side. "Something wrong?"

"Not particularly."

"Oh, okay... Well, have a nice meal then, Hikari." She smiled and waved her tail in the air.

I forced a little smile and replied, "Thanks, you too, Nashi."

She jumped down from the fence into her yard and walked away. I turned back towards home.

Wandering slowly through the yard, I began to feel really weird. My stomach was suddenly getting upset, and my head felt dizzy. I did my best to walk straight as I crawled up onto our back porch.

I heard a noise and looked over to see the woman from this morning get in her car and pull away, blowing a kiss to whom I assumed was my master.

A sharp pain shot through my entire body and my vision went black as I collapsed on the porch.