Chapter 4: Homesick

Curiosity consumed him. Had he found another whose mind was numbed by the cold sensation of one's hands pressed against metal? Of course not. The sullen boy was upset, presumably by his friend's affectionate greeting. It would be rude not to ask.

After an extensive examination of all those around him, a green aura shrouded the Villager's axe as he pocketed it, but nobody looked. Ness and Lucas were too busy catching up on whatever it is that city folk and villagers have in common. For some, the Villager's power was no more than a gimmick once the first time had passed; such disregard on the battlefield would be a grave mistake.

The Villager treaded forward to approach Jeff once more. Jeff's glance trailed from the rocket component in his hand to the Villager's feet. His heart was already in his mouth; soft blue shoes weren't enough to disgorge it tumbling out. The fear he once felt had vanished, inciting the Villager's interest. He scuffed his knees on the chalky tiles and joined Jeff upon them. The Villager crossed his legs and stared through Jeff's glasses, pressuring him into initiating their inevitable discussion.

"You're quiet." Jeff muttered to the Villager under his breath, avoiding the involvement of Ness and Lucas.

"As are you." The Villager traced Jeff as he placed the part down.

"I presume you wish to discuss the rocket?"

"Yes, another time." The Villager leant back on his peculiar palms, tilting his head and feet side to side rhythmically.

Jeff's brows contorted for a moment, then relaxed in realisation. "Oh, certainly. The lab would be a more suitable place for that. I suggest we head there, after those two are done." His finger poked the air between the boys, glowing as they exchanged their endeavours. "Which I suppose will be a while yet. I'd imagine they believe aeons have passed since the last time they competed together." Jeff tightly interlaced his fingers before his arms rested, but the Villager's eyes chiselled at his patience. He usually appreciated new company, but not this.

"Oh. Ness talked to you about him?" The Villager questioned. The more he knew about every last fighter, the better.

"Not quite. We're friends, but... I hear things."

"Aren't you a good friend. Always listening." His smile sprouted into a smirk.

"You assume that I want to."

"And so you listen to me." The Villager cupped his hands. He glanced at the blood on Jeff's soiled shirt. "Fresh." He notified, leaning forward. Satisfied, he then looked away and lifted himself to his feet.

Jeff returned to his project. The conversation was over, thank goodness. What Jeff didn't realise was that he had told the Villager exactly what he wanted to know, and all he had to do was stretch his eyes open a little more.

The Villager's interrogation had supped Jeff's patience dry. "Alright, everyone! Let's head off." He exclaimed to the boys once he'd stood. He adjusted himself accordingly, wiping down his viridian trousers to clear off some of the dust.

"Huh? Where are we going?" Lucas inquired, stumbling out of his conversation.

"Dr A- I mean, my father's laboratory. In Winters."

"Alright! Bus trip! Bus trip!" Ness intonated as he marched towards the door, pumping his fist and swinging his bat. He held the door open for Lucas, who promptly followed his footsteps.

The crowd correlated at the nearest bus stop. They glanced down the adjoining road, which trailed for miles. It was as barren as the buildings surrounding them.

"Everything's so quiet. It's creepin' me out." Ness' family, and the majority of his friends, had been driven from his hometown. It had dawned on him that he was about to leave Onett before seeing them again. His confidence quavered.

The doors swung open and snapped Ness back into reality.

"Hey, kid. How you doing?" The bus driver beamed from his wheel when he set eyes on the local hero.

Ness stepped on first, clinging onto his leadership. His head hung low and his legs trudged forward as he reached into his pocket. The driver's smile soon ceased, so he outstretched his hand. Ness fixed his eyes on his palm and he paid for everyone's fare. He then dragged his feet down the bus before slumping into the back seat.

The driver looked down the bus as Ness walked away. "What's up with your friend there?" He asked Lucas, the next in line.

"Wish I knew, sir. Sorry." He rushed his reply, eager to find the answer. Lucas leaned over the bench to Ness in concern, slotting into the seat next to him. Ness kicked his feet up onto the empty seat in front. Jeff sat behind them. A moment of comfort was rendered abrupt by the Villager, who hushedly helped himself.
You're welcome, Jeff thought, a subdued scowl forming under his glasses. Ness giggled.

"What?" Lucas' nervous laugh was shaken by the engine that kicked into life.

The further the fighters travelled from Onett, the lower the sun swooped as it shied away. Streetlights flooded the bus in cadence. Ness drifted in and out of consciousness, between the stars and the radio's tinny music.

"What was that?"

Ness thought he noticed a flash of blue in the corner of his eye, yet brushed it off as a dream, until Lucas raised his voice. "Excuse me, driver, sir? Can we stop?"

"What's goin' on, what for?" The driver turned his head slightly, his face contorted in a dazed frustration.

"Please, I saw something!"

"C'mon, we'll be there soon, an' it's gettin' late!"

"No, I saw it too. Something crashed into that field." Jeff intervened. He gesticulated to the left, pointing into an expanse of field dotted with foliage. In the distance, a patch was lit a dull orange, with tufts of flame licking the night sky. They branched out rapidly, encompassing the coppice in light. The Villager rubbed his eyes and squinted at the flare in drowsy delicacy. Ness' eyes widened as he witnessed the wreckage. Jeff launched himself from the window ledge in fright, lunging into his lap and seizing his glasses. His eyes fixed on the fire. Something crawled out, gripping the undergrowth. "Look!" His voice broke around the lump in his throat.

"Somethin' moved! D'you see it? Oh my God, Luc, did ya see that?! Guys, we've gotta get off!" Ness cried out, clambering over Lucas to reach the driver. "Stop the bus!"