Chapter 1: Newton's Worst Flaw

It was a quiet day in Onett. The townspeople had been temporarily evacuated in light of the Super Smash Bros. tournament. The roads, worn from bustling traffic, were barren. The only audible ambience was that of a secluded genius. The hustled clank and whirl of machinery echoed through the streets, for a young prodigy was assembling his latest apparatus.

Jeff Andonuts, a renowned member of the Chosen Four, had tasted adventure alongside his comrades when mankind was to witness Giygas's wrath. When the world was destined to perish, he and his friends combined their strengths to save it.

His once white shirt had dampened with sweat, and was soiled with oil and specks of blood, as he slaved over the contraption. A sigh of irritation rushed past his lips once he'd noticed the state he was in.

"Bloody clothes are rotten... The only place for them now is in the bin." Jeff thought, amongst the calculations and formulae required to develop the structure before him.

"Jeff, my main man! You okay over there?" A brisk greeting pierced the air, bouncing off the bricks. It came from a smaller, sprier young man; Ness, the Chosen Four's initial member, and one of Jeff's closest friends. He's the most energetic of the bunch, a keen baseball player and eager explorer. And he was built of friendly bones. His welcoming attitude was crucial as he and the introverted soul bonded during their vocation.

"Oh, hello there, Ness. Didn't expect to see you so soon." Jeff brought his gaze from the contraption over to his friend, along with his attention, despite the burdensome queries brimming in his brain. Ness had ascended Onett's drugstore upon spotting Jeff's construction atop the roof. Ness' presence anywhere besides in his bed before noon was a surprise, a pleasant one at that. Although Jeff found this change in manner somewhat unsettling. "I'm quite alright, thank you. It's been a while, hasn't it?"

"That's right, bud; something like, six months now?"

"Indeed, I remember seeing you off with the others last autumn." Jeff's surroundings sharpened around him as he reminded himself. Ness was barely visible besides his backpack, a striking yellow fingerprint in the distance. The flora's tints of brown and orange turned to brush strokes as tears blurred his vision. By the time Ness had treaded beyond the meandering road ahead, Jeff's lenses had greyed with fog. But crying would not calm his stirring anxiety. He feared for him. Not again... Why must this always happen?

"What's that?" Ness asked, as he pointed the end of his bat at Jeff's latest project. Jeff's pondering ceased as Ness' curiosity drew him back to reality. He observed the white paint circling itself on the bat's motif, and was nostalgic for a brief moment. A moment during which he should've responded.

"Oh, um, that is a prototype for my newest rocket model." Jeff paused. A slight giggle arose under his breath as he continued. "I'm sure you're aware that my bottle rockets packed quite a punch-"

"They sure did." Ness abruptly agreed. He subconsciously felt a fully throttled plastic lid smack his nose, remembering his previous accounts of stupidity with Jeff's bottle rockets, as well as the drenching nosebleed that followed.

"Yes, although, wouldn't you agree that, for their intended purpose, more force is better?"

"Yeah, I mean, I wanna KO any losers who get in the way of these things!"

"Certainly. The reason being why I've added three extra thrusters to the base of these models, each of which are ten times more powerful than the ones I'd previously installed."

Ness' expression was more eager than understanding. "Alright! Let's see 'em in action!"

"W-what? Are you positive? It's just that... I've not an infinite collection, and when I said these rockets pack a serious punch, I... was serious." Jeff stumbled across his words as his anxiety revealed the endless possibilities of what destruction might occur in the next few minutes. A demonstration was inevitable; Ness isn't one to back down.

"Yeah! C'mon! Are you scared?" Ness provoked his friend, in order to secure an explosive display. He'd seen the bottle rockets before, when they were needed most. But Jeff's nerdy jargon of these new rockets' power and thrusters and force only encouraged his playfully mischievous nature. He approached Jeff and placed one hand on his shoulder, shaking lightly and edging closer. "The button's right there, ya chicken!" His arm travelled over Jeff's shoulders to point at a red button protruding from the metal base. "Ya gonna do it or not? It's not rocket science, pal!"

"Um, actually, it is." Jeff was blushing profusely. Desperate to draw Ness' attention away from the redness of his face, he extended his arm and surrendered. As the air before them blackened with smoke, Ness rushed to his feet and backed up, his knuckles whitening as his hand tightened around his bat's grip tape. The boys' heads jolted upwards as their gaze followed the rocket into the air. After a hysterical moment of amusement and dread, the rocket one-eightied and hurtled towards the town hall. Jeff's eyes widened behind his lenses' white sheen. Ness' hollering faded. In the blink of an eye, Onett's centrepiece was reduced to rubble.